Tuesday, December 8, 2015

Casting Off And Almost Arriving

Gaius, Vello, David and Terence are flying Qantas from Paris to Adelaide, arriving on Friday.

No one is sorry about leaving Paris.

I can't say I'm sorry, says Vello. We've done all we can.

We have, says David. Now it's up to the others.

Yes, says Vello. But they'll never reach an agreement.

Not by Friday, says David.

The two philosophers, one of whom has done nothing in Paris but wave a smouldering stick, and the other, no more than dousing the stick in a hotel toilet, nod sagely.

It'll be good to be home, says Vello.

I hear it's quite hot, says David. Forty degrees, high winds and bush fires

Damn! says Vello. What foul weather! Let's hope it improves.

One good thing though, observes David. No more Terence.

No more Terence, echoes Vello, leaning back in his airline seat as far as possible and trying to catch the eye of the drinks trolley steward, as the trolley rolls by.

Vello orders two half bottles of Aussie red wine.

Ahh! It's almost as good as the French stuff.

Terence is sitting with Gaius a few seats behind.

The person on the left side of Gaius is sleeping, so Gaius is chatting to Terence, as if he were older.

Of the mantis shrimp, says Gaius, I know very little at this stage.

You know it's very little, says Terence. That's something.

No, no, says Gaius. I KNOW very little. However, you are correct. Being a shrimp, I suspect it is little, in the sense of being quite small. However we must remember, size is relative.

I know, says Terence. Saint Joseph isn't a relative.

But what has that got to do with his size? asks Gaius.

Ask the Virgin, says Terence. She says it has everything to do with it.

Gaius, suspecting something unpleasant, changes the subject.

And what are you most looking forward to, Terence, when you get home?

I'm getting a parrot, says Terence. Sweezus told me.

A parrot, how nice, says Gaius. I too am expecting a bird on arrival. A new baby Bristlebird.

They can be friends, says Terence.

Not immediately, says Gaius. The baby Bristlebird must be kept free of all outside influence, until I have taught it to recognise and reproduce endangered native bird alarm signals.

But after, says Terence.

We shall see, says Gaius.

.....

At this very moment, the long anticipated baby B-B is being dropped off by Mango at the bottom of the stairs to the Velosophy office.

Here we are, says Mango. Good luck and all that.

You can't leave me here, says baby B-B. At least wait till I've met my mother.

Up you go, says Mango. Top of the stairs. and knock boldly. I'm off now.

Mango makes to fly off. Flutter-flutter.

Baby B-B can't even get up the first riser.


No comments: