Thursday, December 10, 2015

Quid Pro Quo Flying

Baby B-B is glad now that Arthur will not be his mother.

He would be a really crap mother.

He would make him learn lessons and beat him, if he got them wrong.

He decides it will be safer to be Arthur's not-too-close brother.

He hops up on Pablo's lap.

(Pablo still smells of coffee)

Get off me, says Pablo.

Come here little birdie, says Dries.

Thank you, says baby B-B. I have one friend at least.

Sure you do, says Dries. And how good it is you are here. And that you are fluent in English is very good also.

Actually, says Sweezus, it isn't. It's kind of a bummer.

How come? asks Arthur.

Gaius, says Sweezus. He said it was important the bird was a kind of blank sheet. He wants to teach it alarm calls.

Well anyway, it is good for me, says Dries. And for Arthur and Pablo, who signed a contract undertaking to teach it to recite the names of the Twenty Persons.

Me? says baby B-B. I don't even know Twenty Persons.

I have the list here, says Dries. Do you think you could learn it?

Easily, says baby B-B.

Excellent, says Dries. This will mean Arthur and Pablo are let off the hook.

But I won't, says baby B-B. Because, what's in it for me? It seems I have the upper hand here.

Arthur likes baby B-B's spirit.

What do you want? asks Arthur. Besides me to be your mother, which isn't going to happen.

I want to learn to fly, says baby B-B. Before tomorrow, when Terence gets here.

Okay, says Arthur. Then will you learn the name list?

Not only that, says baby B-B. I'll be a blank shit as well.

Blank sheet, says Arthur. Pronunciation.

Blank sheet, says baby B-B. Thanks bro.

........

The Flying Lesson.

Arthur takes baby B-B to the top of the stairs.

Ready, says Arthur.

Arthur lets go.

Baby B-B drops like a stone to the top riser.

I wasn't ready, says baby B-B. Let's do it again.

Your feathers are too short, says Arthur. Try these.

He takes two dirty white feathers from his shorts pocket.

But these feathers have not flown anywhere for ages.

And they're not flying anywhere now.

Because baby B-B, has spotted, at the bottom of the stairs, a new golden feather.

He flies down the stairs faultlessly, to gather it up.

No comments: