Friday, June 10, 2016

Life's Reversals

Sir Frederick recognises Grizel.

Lady Baillie! says Sir Frederick. How do you like our exhibition? Talented young people we have here in Melbourne, eh?

Very nice, says Grizel. Katherine and I have been admiring this bread wrapper.

And this bread, says Katherine.

I don't think the bread's part of it, says Sir Frederick. But I could be mistaken.

This is my friend Katherine Hume, mother of the less famous David, says Lady Baillie.

Ha ha! laughs Sir Frederick. Less famous! I'm sure she's proud of her son.

Not particularly, says Katherine. I fear he's not ready for France.

The Tour de France? asks Sir Frederick, aware of David Hume's later accomplishments.

Jumping Jupiter! The Tour! splutters Gaius. When is it?

July something, says Katherine, looking vague.

Bored, Terence has wandered off to look at a model.

The Elegant Parrot has naturally followed.

Several Year 11s are looking at the model, an industrial stool.

I'm FREAKING! says one of the students. That's HOURS of work! I might as well just DROP OUT right now.

Would you like a dinosaur tooth? asks Terence. Put it under your pillow and....

Stop right there! says the Elegant Parrot. That story is for CHILDREN.

What story? asks the Year 11 ( let's call her Milly, on the understanding that she is NOT the one who designed the eponymous bread wrapper, who would of course be a Year 12).

Never mind that story, says the Elegant Parrot. That story is about growing a beak. You don't need a beak do you?

No, says Milly.

Nor do her friends, Amir and Sal.

They anticipate a more adult kind of story.

This dinosaur tooth, says the Elegant Parrot, is a talisman. Whoever possesses it, will have one extra tooth.

Which makes you SMARTER, says Terence. (He feels that the story is lacking in motivation).

I wouldn't go that far, says the Elegant Parrot. It didn't make the dinosaur smarter.

Amir waits for the dénouement. So do Milly and Sal.

Now that I have your attention, says the Elegant Parrot, let me say a few words on behalf of the Green Grocer Cicada.

I'm not voting for the Green Grocer Cicada, says Milly. I'm voting for the Pobblebonk. It's got such a cute name.

I'm voting for the White Skink, says Sal.

Amir is thinking of voting for the Native Water Rat.

But do you know, says the Elegant Parrot, that the Green Grocer Cicada is the school students' friend?
On the days when their populations arrive at a certain density, the Green Grocer Cicadas make so much noise that schools have to close down entirely. Just saying.

Having sown the seed of self-interest in the three Year 11s,  the Elegant Parrot turns to look for another group to rally.

But instead, finds herself face to face with the manager of Live Exhibits.


No comments: