Saturday, June 11, 2016

Persuasion

How much of your two weeks of life have you left? asks Gaius.

Fiddle-de-twee!  says the Green Grocer Cicada.

I understand that you might not want to talk about it, says Gaius, but I have a reason for asking.

What is a reason? asks the Green Grocer Cicada.

Gaius pauses. Thinks about how to frame his answer. Perhaps he should ask Patrick Honan first.

Patrick Honan meanwhile has just pocketed a key.

And the Elegant Parrot has disappeared behind a curtain.

The question is, are the two things related?

Gaius approaches Patrick Honan.

I wonder, says Gaius, if I might borrow your Green Grocer Cicada.

What for? asks Patrick Honan.

The Baw Baw expedition, says Gaius. Since the Green Grocer Cicada is used to living underground for long periods it might be helpful in locating a Baw Baw. I have come to realise I need more help than my companions might be able to give me.

Certainly, says Patrick Honan. If the Green Grocer Cicada can be persuaded to go. Life is quite comfortable for the bugs in our Bugs Alive Exhibition.

How long does it have? whispers Gaius.

Only a week, whispers Patrick Honan.

Good, says Gaius. That's all I need. Now, to ask it.....

The Elegant Parrot flings back the curtain.

Allow me to ask it!

There you are, Parrot! cries Terence. I though you were MISSING. I thought the manager had locked you in with the poisonous bugs and spiders.

I wouldn't do that, says Patrick Honan.

But you put a key in your pocket, says Terence. I saw you.

My house key, says Patrick Honan.

Ha! This is no novel!

Go on, says Gaius, to the Elegant Parrot.

The Elegant Parrot addresses the Green Grocer Cicada:

Green Grocer Cicada, should you agree to accompany us to the Baw Baw Plateau, sacrificing your few weeks of freedom...

TWO weeks! says the Green Grocer Cicada.

Why two weeks? asks Terence.

That's all he's got, says the Elegant Parrot. Now shut up, I'm in full flight here.......

What do I get out of it? asks the Green Grocer Cicada.

An Honourable Mention, says the Elegant Parrot. Framed in gold, with green curlicues, a red wax seal and a tassel...... you can frame it, and you can hang it up by the tassel.

Would that work? asks Gaius. Hanging something up by a tassel? Is it a looped tassel? What is its purpose.....?

He suddenly realises he is arguing himself out of a priceless companion.

No, says Gaius, I withdraw all my questions, I see it now......

Everyone looks at the Green Grocer Cicada, expecting an answer.

Agreed, says the Green Grocer Cicada.

What tipped you? asks the Elegant Parrot.

You had me at the curlicues, says the Green Grocer Cicada. And you nailed it by the tassel.

No comments: