Wednesday, June 1, 2016

Nhill By Mouth

Six o'clock in the evening. Sweezus is driving. They will soon be in Nhill.

You do drive fast, dear, says Katherine. Do I smell burning?

Farm burn-offs, says Sweezus.

If you say so, says Katherine. By the way, I should have asked you before, do you have a licence?

Katherine, says Sweezus. Would I drive your car if I didn't?

Arthur did once, says Katherine, remembering.

Arthur would, says Sweezus. I've had a licence since I turned seventeen. Comes in useful.

I'm sure it does, says Katherine. Arthur might have found one useful as well. Are you meeting him in Melbourne?

Yep, says Sweezus.

Arthur's getting a present, says Terence.

What's that dear? asks Katherine

Terence is in the back seat, with the Elegant Parrot.

A present, says Terence. This is it here. And I know what's in it.

No, you don't, says Sweezus. And don't you dare open it. I paid a motza for the paper.

The wrapping paper is dogs. Dogs in colourful dog coats. The dog coats are all different. But the dogs are the same.

It's a paint set, says the Elegant Parrot. The paper's a clue.

No. It's a dog coat, says Terence. You picked the wrong clue.

Why would Arthur want a dog coat? asks Katherine.

He wouldn't, says Sweezus. Shall we stop in Nhill for a burger?

All right, says Katherine. I do feel peckish.

Sweezus pulls up in Nhill.

Now Sweezus and Katherine are sitting in the car eating burgers. The front window steams up.

So what is it, the present? asks Katherine.

Boardies, says Sweezus. Arthur needs a new pair.

Katherine is reminded of the time, a few years ago now, when she bought Arthur and Sweezus each a new pair of boardshorts.

She looks sideways at Sweezus, Not his face, lower. Good heavens The dear boy is still wearing the very same board shorts. She can faintly discern the worn orange tigers and threadbare black panthers of the once darkly etched pattern..

What a nice young man he is, buying new ones for Arthur, when he needs some himself.

Perhaps she should offer...... but no, it is winter, and they are heading for Melbourne. And who knows where after that? Arthur and Gaius were planning to go frog hunting on some god forsaken freezing cold plateau.....

So she doesn't.

But....

I wonder, says Katherine. Won't you both be cold?

Dunno, says Sweezus.

I'm cold, says Terence. I hope we find my lost hat in Melbourne.

You lost a hat? says the Elegant Parrot. What kind was it? No, don't tell me, Peruvian side flaps?

YES! cries Terence. You are the the best parrot I've ever had so far!

The only parrot, says Sweezus.

Katherine suppresses a smile.


No comments: