Sunday, June 5, 2016

Time Slips Away

Night time. Grizel's kitchen smells of sardines.

Scissors are not the ideal tool to open a sardine tin ( the ring pull was broken ).

Splurt! Sardine oil splattered everywhere.

And was not entirely wiped up.

But no one is now in the kitchen.

Tick, tock. The clock ticks the seconds. A pale beam of moonlight falls through the window upon a framed version of 'If I was a Light Bulb' ( or whatever it was ) with musical notation, on faded paper.

In her dark bedroom, Grizel is sleeping.

In the lighter spare bedroom, Katherine is too.

In the study, Gaius, Sweezus and Arthur lie stiffly on lumpy cushions.

You asleep? whispers Arthur.

No, says Gaius. There's a tune going round in my head.

Yeah? Was it: Were no my heart light? says Sweezus.

Did you read the whole thing? Up on the wall in the kitchen? asks Arthur.

Yep, says Sweezus. I didn't get it. What's the titty?

It's a pap, says Gaius.

Yeah, but: He had a wee titty that loved na me? says Sweezus.

Arthur stifles a laugh.

I must admit, says Gaius, that had me puzzled. I shall ask Grizel in the morning.

I wouldn't, says Sweezus.

Terence emerges from under his warm tam o' shanter jacket, along with the Elegant Parrot.

A titty is a bird, says the Elegant Parrot.

See! says Terence. I was just about to tell you.

I don't see, says Sweezus. Because the titty gets Johnny into trouble with his mother. Then, on the wedding day the titty tops herself. And Johnny goes back to sea.

Why could it not be a bird? says the Elegant Parrot. They could all be.

Seeing we're awake, says Gaius, we might make plans for tomorrow. Who's coming to the Museum?

Me! says Terence.

Terence, says Gaius. You are the only one I was not addressing.

Terence's face falls.

While Arthur and Sweezus have suddenly fallen asleep.....

........

In the morning, everyone sleeps in. Then it's porridge for breakfast.

Who doesn't like porridge?

I believe you're all going to the Museum, says Grizel.

Not me, says Terence.

Certainly you, says Grizel. There's a Dinosaur Walk on. I know all little boys love dinosaurs. They have seventeen skeletons of prehistoric animals on display in the Science and Life Gallery.

Yippee! says Terence, sticking his arms through his hat. I'm ready already!

Perhaps you and Katherine might take him, says Gaius. I shall be busy. But before I forget, I had to ask you something....what was it now?

Luckily he can't remember, which is probably for the best.

Time is slipping away from us.

And I don't know what the titty is either.



No comments: