Friday, June 3, 2016

By Dint Of The Force Of His Personality

Six fifty. The Overland train is on time.

Gaius looks at his time piece.

Six fifty. Six fifty?

What time does the Museum shut? Five.

Drat, says Gaius. I haven't thought this through very well.

What's up? says Arthur.

They are now in the street with their bikes.

I was planning to catch up with Sir Frederick, says Gaius. At the Melbourne Museum. Old friend of mine.

Call him, says Arthur. He might invite us to dinner.

I don't have his number, says Gaius. He won't have a phone.

We can go shopping, says Arthur. For warm jackets. What time does the Museum open tomorrow?

Ten, I suppose, says Gaius. Dear me, this is holding us up. But I really would like to see Sir Frederick. He's an expert in frogs. Wrote the Prodromus, you know. Moulded the Museum by dint of the force of his personality. You'll like him.

Okay, says Arthur. Kathmandu?

What? says Gaius, still thinking about the Prodromus.

Kathmandu, says Arthur. They've got a sale on. Where's Elizabeth Street? No, wait, don't tell me.

Amazing. Arthur has still got some charge in his phone and he knows how to use it.

Soon he and Gaius are entering Kathmandu in Elizabeth Street. They do have a sale on. Forty percent off branded gear. They head for the jackets.

Ring ring! Arthur has the same pedestrian ring tone as Sweezus.

Hello?

Arthur? Where are you?

In Kathmandu.

Fuck! I though you were heading to Melbourne!

I am in Melbourne. Gaius is buying us jackets.

Cool! Buy me one as well. Katherine'll pay when we get there. Yeah, she offered....

Okay. Where are you staying?

Dunno where I'm staying. What? Oh awesome, thanks Katherine. I'm staying with her at her friend's house.

We need somewhere to stay too, the Museum is shut now.

Come over. It's somewhere in Carlton. I'll text you the address. Bring the jacket.

Gaius looks at the jackets with gathering scorn. Ridiculous. Beyond ridiculous. One hundred and sixty seven dollars for a Heli Men's Lightweight Down Jacket V2, Sunset. And that's with forty percent off.

Perhaps he and Arthur can share one.

But he has not factored in Arthur, who has already gone to the counter with three.


No comments: