Tuesday, January 31, 2017

Do Dolphins Ever Sleep?

It has taken Ageless Lobster more than a week to get here.

I am sorry, beloved, says Ageless Lobster. Delays have beset me.

Delays, mm, says Kobo. Recount them to me.

I shall, my clam-scented beloved, says Ageless Lobster.

Is she still his beloved? he wonders. Perhaps it depends on the quality of his recounting.

Sit, says Kobo.

Ageless begins the long climb. Skitter-skitter-----

Not up here, says Kobo. The floor will do nicely.

Just as well, mutters Ageless.

Can I listen? asks Lavender.

Of course, dear, says Kobo. Ageless, Lavender will be listening!

Thanks for the warning, says Ageless. Are you ready?

Yes, says Kobo.

Yes, says Lavender.

........

Ageless Recounts His Delays:

I received your message. I read it. A bicycle was found in your vicinity. You thought it was mine. I readied myself for a journey.

How? asks Kobo.

I closed my library book, beloved, says Ageless.

What was it? asks Kobo.

Do Dolphins Ever Sleep? replies Ageless.

And do they? asks Kobo.

I may never know, replies Ageless.

Go on, says Kobo.

Yes go on, says Lavender.

I hurried down the staircase, says Ageless, and bumped into The Poet.

THE Poet? says Kobo.

Yes, says Ageless. And as it was his birthday, he was climbing down from his pedestal.

Did you greet him? asks Kobo.

Better than that, beloved, says Ageless. I tripped him. How he cursed. Ye daft piece of shite!

Ye daft piece of shite, whispers Lavender.

Tone down the language, says Kobo. Lavender is listening.

I have toned it down, my creamy beloved, says Ageless. And now you shall learn what happened.

What happened? asks Kobo.

He dropped his wee Scottish parcel, says Ageless. And his airline ticket. He himself was on the ground, struggling. You know how his boots are.

I do not, says Kobo.

Do I? asks Lavender.

You do, says Ageless. 'Tis Rabbie Burns, of the knee high boots and two short legs inside them.

Lavender remembers Rabbie Burns. He took her and Baby Pierre to the beach once.

What was in the parcel? asks Lavender.

All in good time, says Ageless. I picked up the airline ticket and the parcel, caught the J1 bus to the airport and boarded the plane.

Kobo looks sceptical.

You used Rabbie Burns' airline ticket?

 Nothing gets past you, my sweetness.

Where to? asks Kobo.

To Sydney, says Ageless. In time for the birthday. Luckily the address was on the birthday card inside the parcel.

You opened it! cries Lavender.

Not exactly, says Ageless.

He squints up at the ladies.

Yes. He has them both hooked now.


No comments: