Thursday, January 5, 2017

Only The Black Bits

Gaius is used to adversity.

Terence is not.

In spite of the excellence of Gaius's grass string, the Havaianas slip off.

I'm not coming! says Terence. I keep slipping backwards.

Not surprising, says Gaius. Well, there nothing else for it. Get into the shoe box. I'll haul you up.

He unties the string holding Terence to Sweezus's Havaianas, and makes two holes in one end of the shoe box. Then he threads in the string.

Terence climbs into the shoebox.

Where are the spider eggs? asks Gaius.

Terence has lost them.

We'll collect more on the way up, says Gaius. Remind me.

Terence is settled. Gaius starts up the camino.

The new Timberland hiking boots have great grip. Pity they're one size too small.

Terence is heavy. Gaius is sweating.

Terence feels sorry.

I'm sorry, says Terence.

Never mind. This is good for me, says Gaius. I've been out of shape.

Me too, says Terence. I don't have toe spaces.

I know that, says Gaius. But I meant fitness. Huh...huh... I have a big bicycle race coming up soon. I don't want to let down the team.

My parrot's going in it, says Terence.

I don't think so, says Gaius. They don't allow birds to go in it.

In their own team, says Terence. I just need more parrots.

You've got three now, says Gaius.

Terence hadn't thought about that.

Sweezus and Arthur are half way up the camino.

This crater's only 2000 years old, says Sweezus.

You can't tell, says Arthur.

No, you can't, says Sweezus. All this growth and stuff.

He looks at the growth and stuff. Notices something.

You've got bird shit on your shoe. Did you know that?

Yes, says Arthur. It happened in the shoe shop. The evil parrots attacked me.

Grumious, says Sweezus. What did you do?

Nothing, they kicked us all out, says Arthur. But I got these shoes for nothing.

Why don't you clean off the bird shit?

It's coming off by itself.  It dries up and drops off.

Only the black bits.

That's true.

Arthur kicks at a rock to hasten the process.

Now they are at the top of the camino.

The three Pesquet's Parrots are waiting. Chatting about family matters in a palm tree.

Arthur wishes he hadn't left the two shoe boxes down at the bottom. His hand closes round the sharp spines in his pocket.

Sweezus seems oblivious. Looking back down the trail for Terence and Gaius.

Well dear, says Mother Pesquet, We might bugaroff now.

Good luck in the Tour Down Under, says Father Pesquet. We'll be cheering you on, from Parque Loro.

You're the first one in our family to learn the bicycle, says Mother Pesquet.

O mother, says the young Pesquet. If only you knew.

But he doesn't like to spill the dark secret of Parque Loro.

Hurry up and bugaroff, you old Pesquets.

Danger is approaching in the shape of a shoe box.

Your only hope is that Terence remembers to remind Gaius to stop.

No comments: