Thursday, January 12, 2017

Sacrifice And Rumour

The puncture mended, Gaius and Kong continue cycling to Roque Nublo.

Kind of you to come after me, says Gaius.

I thought so, says Kong. The others have gone back already, you know.

I didn't know, says Gaius.

Now you do, says Kong.

I really thought....begins Gaius

Yes? says Kong.

But I feel I must make one last effort, says Gaius.

Of course. After all, it is the iconic Roque Nublo, replies Kong.

What do you know about it? asks Gaius.

A holy monument and a pillar of heaven, says Kong. Ritual sacrifices. Not nowadays of course...

Certainly not, says Gaius. My interest is purely scientific. To be specific, geological and biological.

And spiderological, says Kong.

What? says Gaius.

A harmless joke, says Kong. But... you do know that Daniel O'Connell has acknowledged young Dedalus as a relative?

No, I didn't, says Gaius. What would he know?

Blood will out, says Kong.

Oh very convincing, says Gaius. Blood will out. What does that mean?

You should not need to ask that, says Kong.

Thus they pass the time, chatting, on the way to Roque Nublo, the Rock in the Clouds.

.......


Sweezus, Arthur, Ying, Diego and Terence are flying business class back to Adelaide.

The Pesquet is in the shoe box. Daniel O'Connell and Dedalus are in the Maja soap box.

They have already reached Barcelona.

Ying looks at Sweezus. Then at Terence.

Is either of them going to remember?

The two Sylvanian daddies they left at the Sagrada Familia as hostages for Terence?

Fortunately not. (Unfortunately, for Cedric and Geoff).

They make their connection.

On this leg, Sweezus sits next to Diego.

Bit of a rush job, says Sweezus. And you won't have a bike.

I thought you might provide one, says Diego.

Cool, yeah, says Sweezus. Too easy. Arthur'll fix it.

.......

In the Tour Down Under Village, Peter Sagan has bumped into Richie Porte.

Hey Pete. Nice outfit. New team?

Sure. You?

Yeah. Seen any one from Team Condor?

No. Wait, yeah, Pablo Neruda. Over there.

Cool. See you later. Hey Pablo!

Hola Richie! Nice outfit. New team?

Yeah, you?

Same old, same old. Except for one new guy, Diego.

Oh, yeah. Hey?

What?

Heard anything about .... a PARROT team?

No I haven't. Why?

Eh, nothing. Just this rumour.

Sure, Richie. A Parrot Team. I'll keep my eyes and ears open.


No comments: