Monday, January 2, 2017

Toes Between Spaces And Stars

It's quite dark now. And they are still at the bottom of the volcanic crater.

The Pesquet has gathered a whole pile of Prickly Pears, and smashed them open.

Now they have food.

Then he has flown up to the top of the Caldera with Gaius's phone.

There he has pressed the call button, and Kong has answered.

Yes?

It's me, the Pesquet. Could you bring two pairs of non-slip shoes to the Caldera Bandama? Yes, the bottom. No they can't get up, it's too slippery. Gaius tried calling but there was no coverage down there. Yes. Eggs. Yes, Prickly Pears. Yes, alright. See you in the morning....what? No, I don't know, probably the same size as yours.....

He flies down again.

Kong's bringing two pairs of shoes in the morning.

Two pairs? says Terence.

You don't need shoes, says the Pesquet.

Terence doesn't like this new pear-finding, phone-using, bossy-socks Pesquet.

I WANT shoes! says Terence.

I can fix that, says the Pesquet.

He takes two Prickly Pear skins and fashions them into purple shoe shapes, with seed rippled soles.

Terence hates them.

He stomps off in the dark.

Sweezus goes after him.

Hey, buddy, you can wear my old Havaianas.

Can I?

Yeah. When I get my new shoes in the morning.

Can I try them on now?

No. But if you come back to the camp site I'll ask Gaius if you can be in charge of the spiders.

He hasn't got any spiders.

The eggs then.

Okay.

They go back to the camp site.

This is pleasant, says Gaius. The stars above us. The scent of Prickly Pear skins. I think I'll turn in.

He lies down on the gravel and falls asleep at once. The old Roman.

Happy? asks the Pesquet.

NO! says Terence. YES! But not because of YOU!

So, that's a yes, says the Pesquet.

I'm allowed to have Sweezus's Havaianas, in the morning.

That's good. Is there a space between your big toe and the next one?

Terence peers at his toes.

In the dark it's not possible to see if there are any spaces between them.

He is confident there will be.

He lies down, but keeps his eyes open, because he's in charge of the spider eggs.


No comments: