Wednesday, January 11, 2017

The Fork Determines

It has all worked out exceedingly well.

The new microlattice leg is too big for baby Dedalus, but perfect for Daniel O'Connell.

I shall wear it myself, until he grows into it, says Daniel O'Connell.

Now Daniel O'Connell has eight legs again. And Dedalus, seven.

Diego has surprised everyone by....well, let us fast forward>>>>>>

..........

But before we fast forward, let us go back to check up on Gaius<<<<<<<<

Kong has hired his own transport from Pop On Bike and is riding towards the iconic Roque Nublo.

The rhythmic movements of the pedals recalling his second favourite Tang poem:

There is only one Carved Cloud, exquisite always.....  

He doesn't get far. There is Gaius, on the road ahead, mending a puncture.

.......

Back in Adelaide, at the Velosophy office, Vello and David are entertaining a guest.

Marcel Duchamp: Of course, that was many moons ago.

Vello: The bicycle thing?

David: I never understood it.

Vello: He mounted a bicycle wheel upside down on a wooden stool and displayed it in his studio.

David: Upside down? You see, there you have lost me,

Marcel Duchamp: I understand your puzzlement.

Vello: What?

Marcel Duchamp: Not enough information. The wheel was joined to a fork.

David: Ah, now I get it.

Vello: Well done, David.

Marcel Duchamp: I'm not certain he gets it.

David: Oh I do. The fork determines its orientation. It's perfectly obvious.

Belle (entering, with a plate of deep pink macarons): Excuse me, papa.

Vello: What is it?

Belle: I've had a call from Sweezie. They're on their way home. Sweezus, Arthur and Ying, and a new guy Diego. He's joining team Condor.

Vello: Who is he? Do we know him?

Belle: A PhD student from Tenerife. Sweezie says he's a natural.

Vello: What about Gaius?

Belle: That's the bad news. He's going to be late. He got a puncture on the way to Roque Nublo.

Vello: Curses. Double curses. Two days out from the race and Team Philosophe has only two riders.

Marcel Duchamp: Oh, who are they?

David: Me and Vello.

Marcel Duchamp: If you need another rider, I don't mind filling in.

David: Humph! I imagine you would treat the whole enterprise as a Conceptual Art piece.

Vello: As long as he rides like the clappers.

Marcel Duchamp: I can't guarantee I won't want to keep stopping.

David: We all want to keep stopping. We ride through it.

Marcel Duchamp: Are those cherry macarons?

Belle: Yes they are. Do have one.

Marcel Duchamp: Thank you. But first, a photo.


No comments: