Saturday, August 11, 2018

Cosmos Compost

Belle is in the Café de Flore.

At last she can do what she wants.

But what is it?

She orders a coffee.

Her phone rings. Ring-ring. Ring-ring. A missed call from Gaius.

She calls him back.

Hello? says Gaius. I can't talk now. I'm at the airport.

You just called me, says Belle.

That was Humboldt, says Gaius. He borrowed my phone.

What did he want? asks Belle.

I'll ask him, says Gaius. Better still, I'll put him on.

Hello? says Humboldt. Terence is having an issue with his socks.

What issue? asks Belle.

He believes Saint Roley's snake socks are better than his snake socks, says Humboldt. Saint Roley is willing to swap, but as soon as he offers, Terence becomes suspicious.

He never even wanted the snake socks, says Belle. Put him on.

This is your fault, says Terence.

I agree, says Belle. I wasn't thinking. I should have bought two pairs the same.

As what? asks Terence. The ones I'm wearing or the ones he's wearing?

I'm not going to answer, says Belle. But I have a super idea to fix it.

WHAT? cries Terence.

I'm surprised neither Gaius nor Humboldt thought of it, says Belle.

They're too busy talking about COMPOST, says Terence.

Belle lets that go. She assumes he means COSMOS.

Put Gaius on, says Belle.

No, tell ME, says Terence.

Okay, says Belle. You and Saint Roley swap one snake sock. Then you'll both be the same.

Terence thinks about the implications of doing it.

One of us will be worse and one will be better, says Terence.

But you won't know which one, says Belle. So it won't matter.

Terence is still thinking.

Just try it, says Belle.

Terence pulls one snake sock off.

What are you doing ? asks Saint Roley. Are we swapping at last?

One sock swap, says Terence. You take one off.

Saint Roley can't do it. His three pronged toes keep catching.

He asks Humboldt for help.

Done it? asks Belle.

Wah! cries Terence. Saint Roley's snake sock is baggy.

Oh dear, says Belle. I forgot you have baby feet.

Not BABY FEET! says Terence.

Dear little feet, says Belle.

She hears: snivel-snivel....sniff.... hiccup...yay! ouch! wah!....snivel-snivel....yay!

Humboldt has fixed the problem, with a coffee stirrer and three marshmallows.

All fixed? asks Belle.

Yes, says Humboldt. Until the marshmallows melt.

They won't melt, says Belle. His feet don't get hot like yours or mine do.

Humboldt thinks foot temperature is only one of several factors. Outside temperature for example. It's hot in Dubai. No doubt it's also hot in Weipa. He must monitor the baggy sock closely.

Belle knows this too. But her coffee is here. And a mint macaron. Why should she care?

No comments: