Wednesday, August 8, 2018

Snake Socks

There you are! says Gaius.

Here I am, says Terence rudely.

We almost left without you, says Humboldt.

I wouldn't care, says Terence. Everything is RUBBISH.

Didn't you get Snake Shorts? asks Saint Roley.

No! says Terence. I got stupid Snake Socks.

Let me see them, says Saint Roley.

Belle unwraps them. And the striped tee shirt.

Those are nice, says Saint Roley.

And he'll be getting Snake Shorts in Adelaide, says Belle. 

He won't have time, says Gaius.

I'll order them and get them delivered to your house, says Belle. They'll be there when he arrives.

Very good! says Gaius. Let me think. Is there anything else I need delivered?

You never have any pencils, says Belle. And Arthur's in San Sebastian, which means no knife.

Excellent, says Gaius. Will you order me a set of sharpened pencils, and a Swiss army knife?

Give me your credit card details, says Belle.

Gaius fumbles in his chinos for his credit card. Humboldt is amazed.

How the world has moved on, for its shopping!

Can I try the socks on? asks Saint Roley.

Ha ha! laughs Terence. A parrot in snake socks!

Saint Roley ignores the description.

He tries on the socks.

They wrinkle round his ankles, but his widely spaced toes keep them on.

He hops joyfully.

Terence is jealous.

There are two pairs, says Belle.

Terence tries on the other pair of snake socks. They are not quite the same as Saint Roley's.

The heels and toes are white (which is the same) the central part is dark grey, (which isn't) and the one ring which made Belle and Aurélie decide they were snake socks is light grey (which also isn't). They are the opposite.

Whose are better? asks Terence, with the socks on.

Yours, says Saint Roley.

So do you want them? asks Terence.

Oh no! says Saint Roley.

Terence has trapped him.

He's lying.

No comments: