Monday, August 20, 2018

How Hard It Was Living

How about five hundred? suggests Monsieur Lambert.

It's a long way from fifty, but why not aim high?

Vello shrugs.

Done, says Vello. He is already picturing his hologram.

Yes! Five hundred! Monsieur Lambert is emboldened.

He saw a hologram once. It was of a dead person.

The dead person, an elderly man, was someone's grandfather.

He sat in a chair, and spoke of his early life, smiling and remembering.

A young person was watching him. She was the granddaughter.

She had opened a door.

The hologram had been triggered

Her grandfather spoke to her kindly, about bunnies.

(no that wasn't right).

He spoke of the Depression and how hard it was living in those days. They killed rabbits.

The granddaughter laughed and then cried. She loved the hologram.

I should be honoured to transform you into a hologram, says Monsieur Lambert.

I thought you said you couldn't do it, says Vello.

For a fee, I could do it, says Monsieur Lambert.

We need a tendering process, says Charley. My guy might be cheaper.

But I know Vello's quirks, says Monsieur Lambert.

Not all of them, says Vello. But I'll try you.

Monsieur Lambert is thrilled with the outcome. But he must now bone up on holograms.

Wait, says David. Ask him what he knows about holograms.

Excuse me, I need the toilet. Back in a jiffy, says Monsieur Lambert, rushing out quickly.

That was suss, says David. Vello, think, before you make a decision. Remember Pigalle?

Pigalle? says Vello.

I know. That statue of you in the Louvre, says Khadija. It was done by Pigalle.

You as a classical nude, says David. What a flop it was. Not exhibited for over a century.

Not my fault, says Vello.

He put your head on an old soldier's body, says David. I'm just saying. These things happen.

I was busy, says Vello. This time I shall have control of the process.

I'll call my guy anyway, says Charley. He might give your guy some pointers.

Monsieur Lambert returns from the toilet.

Lasers! says Monsieur Lambert. Split beams! Coherent light! Interference patterns!

Marvellous! says Vello. You are more of an expert than you let on. Now let me explain how I see myself looking......

No comments: