Sunday, August 19, 2018

The Angst Of The Sculptor

The mayor of Ferney has other appointments.

Vello has been passed on to others.

Councillors Khadija (culture and comms) and Charley (sportives) are talking him through the problems of replacing the statue.

A new one would be nicer, says Khadija. We could hold an event.

A cycling event, says Charley. A road race.

Or a cultural expo, says Khadija.

And where would you place me? asks Vello.

Near the post office, says Khadija. There's a space there. It's near the old statue. There'd be a contrast. The old and new you.

Near the post office! says Vello. I'd look like the postman.

Yes. Because of the bicycle, says Charley. That might be a problem. We could put you outside the Fitness Centre.

Great idea, says Khadija.

Vello runs his fingers through his high fade.

David keeps quiet. So does Monsieur Lambert. They sip their coffee and nibble almond biscuits.

I refuse to be thwarted, says Vello.

The mayor says we must keep the old statue, says Charley. It's non negotiable.

I have an idea, says Monsieur Lambert.

Let the people vote, says David.

No. The people will vote for the old statue, says Monsieur Lambert. People are like that. My idea is so up to date I don't know how to do it, but you young councillors might.

What is it? asks Khadija.

A hologram, says Monsieur Lambert.

Brilliant! says Charley. A moving hologram. Popping up in odd places. On it's bike. Speaking and everything.

Speaking? says Vello. I like it. Let us get started.

I'll have to call someone, says Charley. This guy I know.

I seem to have talked myself out of a commission, says Monsieur Lambert.

The idea remains your intellectual property, says Khadija.

Yes yes, says Vello. I shall reward you for everything you have come up with so far. What do you think it's worth, Monsieur Lambert?

Let me think, says Monsieur Lambert. It's not easy to price an idea.

Several ideas, says David.

You keep out of this, says Vello.

Monsieur Lambert thinks. Should he ask for a lot? It's a hard life for a sculptor. He was counting on this commission. He has talked himself out of it. He even talked himself out of doing the haircut. He can do haircuts. The high fade looks so simple. Basically, just a taper. He could have done it. Have more confidence, Lambert! How hard is making a hologram? He could google the method....

How about fifty? says Vello.

Monsieur Lambert! For too long you hesitated. Now you must work your way up from the low point of fifty.

Everyone in the room (except Vello) feels the angst of the sculptor.

No comments: