Friday, August 10, 2018

Cut Out The Cut

The train is ten minutes from Ferney.

Belle calls Vello back.

Papa, it's all sorted. Monsieur Lambert can sculpt bikes. And cut hair. He'll give you a nice modern haircut, and do you on a bicycle. He's...

Excellent! says Vello. Wait. I already have a modern haircut.

No you don't, says Belle. Have you seen yourself lately?

Vello turns to David.

Rate my hairstyle, says Vello.

Five, says David Hume.

David gives my hairstyle a five, says Vello.

Out of ten? asks Belle.

Certainly not! says Vello. What out of, David?

Ten, says David.

What would you know? asks Vello.

I'm observing the young men in our carriage, says David. They have modern hairstyles, in comparison to which yours is a five. I'm being generous.

Papa! are you there? asks Belle. What's David saying?

All right, says Vello. I'll have Monsieur Lambert's haircut.

Great, says Belle. When it's done, send me a photo!

Yes, dear, says Vello.

The train will arrive in five minutes.

Vello eyes the young men in the carriage.

He nudges David.

How about that one?

Bit young for you, says David.

Nonsense, says Vello. I'll have that one.

A woman behind them tut tuts.

HAIRSTYLES madam! says Vello, turning around to the woman.

Sure! says the woman. You are interested in hairstyles of young men? Why is that?

I'm getting one, says Vello. I've chosen that one.

Do you know the name? asks the woman.

I don't need to, says Vello. It's his hairstyle I'm interested in.

I refer to the name of the hairstyle, says the woman,.

What is it? asks David. It may be useful to Monsieur Lambert.

That is a burst fade combover pomp, says the woman. It's too much for you. I suggest a low fade combover and undercut. Or a bald fade and line up....

The train stops.

The young men with the hairstyles get off.

Vello is doodling on the back of his hand.

David thanks the woman.

Thank you, madam, and good day.

She shrugs and gets off to meet her family.

Come on, Vello, says David. Don't fuss.

What did she call it? asks Vello.

A combover, says David. If I were you, I'd forget it.

Forget it! says Vello. What then?

Use your reason, says David. Your sculptor is also your hairdresser. He may sculpt whatever style he chooses. You need not be involved.

After all, this was obvious!

Vello steps off the train lightly.


No comments: