Friday, March 15, 2019

Amazonian Song

Next day. In the afternoon.

The WOMAD is criss-crossed with rhythms, vying from various venues.

Women are dancing. Children drink water out of BPA free plastic bottles.

My worst nightmare, groans Vello.

Courage, papa! says Belle. This is the corner they've given us. It's out of the way, so it'll be relatively quiet.

Vello scowls and examines the corner.

Table where? says Vello.

I thought here, says Belle. And Sweezus will bring our seats over from the Botanic Gardens.

What about the spades? says David.

Spades too, says Belle. What remains of them.

Where will the curtain be? asks Nobby.

Good question, says Belle. You're the curtain and the orange tree, so we need to think it out carefully.

Yes, says Nobby. What about in front of the table?

Impossible, says Vello. Unless we all lurk under the table.

Yes, says David. We're not all on stage at the same time. When you rise, to give the illusion of a sink hole forming, some of us will be exposed.

Who? asks Vello.

Me, for example, says Gaius. I'm supposed to be inside making pastry.

What if we were all in the garden? says Belle.

That would work, says David. Good thinking, Belle.

Just get Sweezus to write that into the script, says Vello. We don't want the old lady to say something contradictory.

I'm an adept at the art of ad lib, says Gaius.

I'm sure you are, says Vello.

Sweezus has crossed the road with some chairs. He drops them over the fence and goes back for some more.

Vello and David and Belle start arranging the chairs.

Loud music starts up. It's Dona Onete the Grande Dame of Amazonian song.

Vello grits his teeth.

.......


Later.

Terence, Celia and Saint Roley have arrived with Elodie.

This is great! says Elodie. Is this the new curtain?

Meaning me? asks Nobby.

Yes, you, says Elodie.

I have to stand at the side of the table, says Nobby.

Fair enough, says Elodie.

You look like an orange tree, says Celia. Is that what we want our curtain to look like?

I have to look like an orange tree, says Nobby. I'm on stage the whole time.

I know! says Terence. Let's make Nobby look like the old curtain.

I guess we could, says Elodie. We could gather some flowers and stick them to Nobby.

They would die, says Nobby.

True, says Elodie. You are thoughtful. I'll make some paper ones.

I want to do it, says Terence. For my friend Nobby.

Nobby is touched. He agrees to Terence doing it.

Clearly, he hasn't known Terence for long.


No comments: