Thursday, March 14, 2019

The Illusion Was That We Were Sinking

Later that night, in the front bar at the Hackney.

Vello: What shall we do?

David: You don't have a plan. I knew it!

Sweezus: We're screwed.

Belle: Don't worry. I'll fix it. We'll apply to move it to WOMAD.

Vello: WOMAD! I detest WOMAD.

Gaius: What's WOMAD?

Elodie: Listen! It's just across the road. All those wonderful world music rhythms.

Vello: Ugh! And people in ridiculous costumes.

Belle: But so convenient. Directly opposite our original venue. We'll just redirect people over the road.

Vello: If you say so. But I shall wear ear plugs. So don't be surprised if I miss some of my cues.

Terence: Will there be a sink hole?

Belle: No.

Terence: Wah! Aren't I in it?

David: You are in it, but we'll have to rethink Nobby's role.

Vello; Oh yes, Nobby. Where is he?

Terence: Crying outside his old home. Because it's all ruined.

Sweezus: We should've brought him. He needs to be in on this.

Vello: Go back and get him.

Sweezus: Okay.

........

Ten minutes later.

Nobby: Sniff!

Vello: We need to rethink your role. Tomorrow night we'll be performing across the road, inside the WOMAD.

Nobby: I always wanted to go to the WOMAD.

Vello: I should have known! Well, that's promising. The thing is, there won't be a sink hole.

Nobby: I know.  There was only one sink hole. My home. Now it's roped off.

Belle: Yes, that's a shame. But Nobby, remember when we rehearsed in the office, without a sink hole?

Terence: YES! He rose onto a table!

Nobby: (sniff) I remember. It was an illusion.

Terence: No it wasn't.

Nobby: I mean the illusion was that because I was rising, everyone else was sinking.

Terence: Were we? Did I know?

Vello; Apparently not. What do you say, Nobby?

Nobby : I say whatever. When everything you ever held dear is ruined, you can still look forward.

Terence: I told him that! I told him how I got new shorts.

Belle: That was a long time ago.

Terence: But I got them.

Nobby: This is supposed to be about me.

Belle: Yes it is. Would you be willing to repeat the illusion, if we provide the table? We'll understand if you wouldn't.

Nobby: What about the curtain?

David: The curtain! Have we left it behind?

Elodie: Yes it's in the roped off area.

Vello: Disaster! No curtain!

Nobby: I'll do the illusion if I can also play the curtain.

David: Problem solved!

Sweezus: Yeah, and new problems beginning.

No comments: