Tuesday, August 27, 2019

A Twist Of Brown

Talk! says Terence, poking Jinjing with his sprouting finger.

Press my button, stupid, thinks Jinjing.

Don't use that finger, says P. krameri.

Too late. Terence's sprout has snapped off.

Mind if I eat it? asks P. krameri. I didn't get breakfast.

Terence looks at the sprout which had been growing nicely.

Wah! says Terence.

What is it? asks Gaius. Dear me. Your sprout has snapped off.

Fix it, says Terence.

There's no way I can re-attach it, says Gaius. You may as well let your parakeet eat it.

That's like eating ME, says Terence.

No it isn't, says Gaius. It was a sunflower seed attached to your hand by means of fish glue. To be honest, I'm surprised that it sprouted.

I'm not, says Terence. It burrowed inside. It was taking my goodness.

Imagination, says Gaius. Let me see.

He leans over to take a better look at the snapped off sprouting finger.

No harm done, says Gaius. And who knows, it may sprout again.

So I can eat this bit? asks P. krameri.

He receives no answer, because Chen has returned with a small pot of yogurt, her breakfast.

Have you put anything more on my list? asks Chen.

NO! says Terence. I've had a disaster.

Chen looks at his sunflower seed finger.

The seed is still there. And a fat white stalk, snapped off at one centimetre.

Where's the rest of it? asks Chen.

He's eaten it, says Mouldy, pointing at P. krameri.

It was wilting, says P krameri, by way of explaining.

Can I have Jinjing back? asks Chen.

He can't talk, says Terence. You said he could.

That's because you have to press his button, says Chen.

She shows Terence the button hidden under a wing.

Say something to him and he'll answer, says Chen.

Will my sprout sprout again? asks Terence.

Wait. I wasn't ready, says Chen.

She presses the button.

Will my sprout sprout again? repeats Terence.

Sprout again, answers Jinjing.

Yay! says Terence.

He looks at his snapped off sprout, expecting to see it re-sprouting.

But the end is shrivelling and turning into a twist of brown fibre.


No comments: