Monday, August 5, 2019

Rule One Ignore Ultimatums

Terence and the parakeet are outside.

Where did you drop it? asks Terence.

From the window, says the parakeet.

Which window? asks Terence.

That one, says the parakeet. Up there.

It's still half open, says Terence.

Bang!

It closes, as he is watching.

Isidore must have stood up, walked across to the window and closed it.

He'll be closing the door, too, says the parakeet.

Good, says Terence. That means we can do what we want.

Which is? asks the parakeet.

Find the SPOON, says Terence. Are you stupid?

No, says the parakeet. But you are. You could do anything.

Find the spoon first, says Terence. Then after, we can have an adventure.

There it is, says the parakeet, spotting the spoon.

Pick it up, says Terence.

Too late. A  woman has picked up the spoon.

My lost spoon! says the woman. How did it get here?

She walks back with the spoon, to where it came from.

Now I'm sad, says Terence. I really wanted that spoon.

And I wanted you to have it, says the parakeet. You had a chance to pick it up. But did you? No, you told me to do it. And before I could do it, she did it.

One more chance, says Terence. Or I drop you.

Pfrrt! says the parakeet. One more chance and I drop YOU.

It's a power game. Terence likes it. Rule One. Ignore ultimatums.

Now for an adventure, says Terence.

How about.....Mystery of the Ocean! says the parakeet.

Terence's eyes widen. The ocean! Where he's not allowed, normally.

Come, says the parakeet grandly. To get there, we must take the Metro.

No comments: