Thursday, August 1, 2019

Dazzle And Go

Lunch is over.

Sweezus, Arthur and Sprocket are the first to depart.

Are you sure, Sprocky? asks Grace Swan. You don't know a lot about surfing.

Sweezus looks at Sprocket.

Sprocket makes a face that he hopes will be interpreted as meaning: Mothers know nothing.

This is Sweezus's opinion exactly.

And Arthur's.

They go.

He should have asked ME, says Terence.

You couldn't go surfing, says Belle. You'd sink to the bottom.

But he didn't even ask me, says Terence. And he didn't help me get a new parrot.

New parrot? says Isidore. I'm sure I could provide one.

Yay! says Terence. Which one?

The one that found your lost claw, says Isidore. He is not attached to our zoo. And he likes you.

Where is he? asks Gaius.

Flown off again, says Isidore. He's a free agent.

Terence is reminded of his found claw.

He looks hard at it.

Let me see, says Vello. Hum. Looks more like a seed.

Does it? says David. Let me see.

The two philosophers stare at the seed.

Terence waits for their opinion.

Bite it, says David. It's the only way to be certain.

No, don't bite it, says Belle. If it's Terence's claw he won't want it broken.

But it might be a SEED! wails Terence.

If it's a seed it will grow, says Belle.

How long will that take? asks Terence.

Ask Gaius, says Belle.

What's this? asks Gaius.

Is this a seed? asks Terence.

It's a sunflower seed, says Gaius. Do you concur, Isidore?

I do, says Isidore. But it will make a fine claw. And imagine it sprouting.

Terence imagines it sprouting.

He imagines his new claw held aloft in the air, against the blue sky. A parrot spots it. And flutters down to examine it further. May I eat this? asks the parrot. No way, says Terence. It is the claw of my blood brother, Baby BB. Wow! says the parrot. May I smell it? No, says Terence. You may not even smell it. But you may come with me wherever I go, and do jobs for me. I used to live in a palace. The parrot is dazzled by this information and says yes....

While Terence is dreaming this ideal scenario, Isidore heads back to the terrace, hoping to spot the rose-ringed parakeet that raids his kitchen garden tomatoes. This is his chance to be rid of it.

Gaius is rummaging around in his back pack, looking for fish glue.

Tch! says Gaius. I wonder if Arthur has it.....No, here it is!

He starts screwing the lid off.

Time to go, says David. Coming, Vello?

I shall wait here for Isidore, says Gaius.

Me too, says Terence.

But Vello will take care of the bill, I trust? says Gaius.

Do you doubt it? says Vello.

Of course not, says Gaius. Just a timely reminder.

Vello walks off to pay for the lunch, muttering about rudeness.

Isidore comes back with a parakeet whom he has dazzled with certain information.


No comments: