Thursday, August 29, 2019

Complex Sentiments

Hong Kong Airport.

One hour to stretch our legs, says Gaius. What would you like to look at?

I want to find Chen, says Terence.

Regretting the parrot swap? asks Gaius. It's too late now.

Mouldy needs a bicycle, says Terence. I forgot to tell Chen.

He'll tell her, says P. krameri.

Tell her, says Jinjing.

See, says Terence. Jinjing says tell her.

I have noticed something about your Jinjing, says Gaius.

What? asks Terence.

He does not have his own opinions, says Gaius.

He's a toy parrot, says P. krameri. He has toy opinions.

There she is! cries Terence.

It's Chen, with her mother. They are entering a café, Bite and Bite.

All right, says Gaius. We'll go to that café. I could do with a water.

They enter the cafe.

Chen is standing near the doorway, staring at two giant cut outs of a bear and a chicken.

Terence! says Chen. Guess what?

What? asks Terence.

We had to dismantle Mouldy, says Chen. They wouldn't let him through customs with feathers.

Tch! says Gaius I should have given you his passport.

Too late now, suckers! says Mouldy. I'm my own pebble again. And they bought me a bicycle.

A red one, says Chen. You can get them in any colour. He chose a red one.

Terence is miffed. Mouldy has a new bicycle, and he could have had any colour, and he chose red, Terence's favourite colour.

Does it have fluoroelastane wheels made out of o-rings? asks Terence.

Of course it does, says Mouldy.

Well, good luck, says Gaius. I'm just buying a water, then we'll be off. By the way, is there something wrong with Jinjing?

No, says Chen. Nothing is wrong with Jinjing.

He repeats what is said to him, says Gaius. But not the whole thing. Often only the last word or two.

Give him to me, says Chen. I'll alter his settings.

A clever child. She unzips the back of Jingijing and alters his settings.

Now try, says Chen.

Now try, says Jinjing.

Never mind, says Gaius. Terence will get used to handling Jinjing. I have no doubt that by the time we get back to Adelaide, Jinjing will be expressing more complex sentiments.

Yes, agrees Chen.

Her mother waves and points at the table.

Oh, my burger is ready. Goodbye Jinging, says Chen. Complex sentiments. Remember.

Your burger is ready, says Jinjing.


No comments: