Monday, August 12, 2019

Dangerous Island

Back at Isidore's apartment, Gaius  chats to the parakeet (P. krameri).

Gaius: Tasmania was interesting

P. krameri: A dangerous island. What did you do there?

Gaius: We visited Dismal Swamp. And a cheese factory. I made copious notes. Would you like to see them?

P. krameri: Later. Did Terence travel with you?

Gaius: Yes he did, now you mention it. He befriended a baby penguin in the township of Penguin.

P krameri: That encourages me. Did the friendship continue?

Gaius: No, the penguin remained in Penguin with its parents. It was unable to travel

P krameri: Being too young?

Gaius: No, being a penguin themed bin, like his parents. Jolly family. Keen on jokes.

P. krameri: Ah, travel. Delightful incidental meetings with strangers.

Gaius: Indeed. Have you travelled much?

P. krameri: No.

Isidore enters, with Terence, followed by Mouldy, wheeling the bicycle.

Well, that was embarrassing! says Isidore.

Dear me, says Gaius. What happened?

I was accused of kidnap and child-beating, says Isidore. I had to pull rank. And all for a pebble.

I'll reheat the coffee, says Gaius.

He heads for the kitchen..

We were talking about Tasmania, says P. krameri.

I went there, says Terence.

You made friends with a bin, says P. krameri.

I did NOT, says Terence.

P. krameri believes it's a dangerous island, says Gaius, coming back with more coffee.

For some, it is, says Isidore. Consider the orange-bellied parrot and the forty-spotted pardalote. Both seriously endangered.

But not penguins, says Terence. They're really brave.

He is slowly remembering his good friend Baby Bin Penguin.

And his funny penguin jokes.

Where do penguins go swimming? asks Terence.

Ha ha!  I remember this one, says Gaius.

Don't say it, says Terence.

I won't, says Gaius. Isidore?

I don't know, says Isidore.

Nor me, says P. krameri.

Mouldy is not even listening.

The South Pole, says Terence.

Why is nobody laughing?

I think you mean the South Pool, says Gaius.

Isidore laughs. The South Pool. That's funny!

What's the difference? thinks Terence.

No comments: