Friday, August 2, 2019

Disturbed Habitats

I'm back, says the parakeet.

See this? says Terence.

Seen it, says the parakeet. I found it, remember?

What did you think it was? asks Terence.

A claw, says the parakeet.

It's a SEED, says Terence. I'm getting it stuck on with fish glue.

Seed, claw, what's the difference? says the parakeet.

You're a rubbish parakeet, says Terence.

I can't accept that, says the parakeet. I was prepared to take up your offer, but now I'm not going to.

What offer? asks Terence.

To be your parrot, says the parakeet.

That will still happen, says Isidore.

Gaius looks up from the fish glue, which is slow to start oozing. Must have hardened, near the lid. Not screwed on properly.

Isidore looks encouraging.

Of course, says Gaius. A rose-ringed parakeet will be an excellent companion for Terence.

Why? asks Terence.

It doesn't matter why, says the parakeet. I'm refusing.

Because, says Gaius, they are not endangered. They are noisy. They can be taught to speak. And they adapt successfully to disturbed habitats.

The parakeet softens.

So does the glue.

Excuse me a minute, says Gaius. I must act quickly.

He grasps Terence's hand, and the fish glue.

The seed, Isidore.

The seed is placed in the space that once contained Terence's finger, and more recently the claw of his blood brother, Baby BB.

When can I water it? asks Terence.

Not yet, says Gaius. The glue must set hard.

Do you expect it to sprout? asks the parakeet.

Yes, says Terence. And I expect you to ask me if you can eat it.

And you'll say no, says the parakeet. I already know what you're like.

Terence waves his new claw in the air to speed up the drying.

The parakeet sniffs.

Phoo! I can smell it.

No! You can't smell it. says Terence.

That must have been a dream you had, says the parakeet. I can certainly smell it.

Terence sniffs. Yes. It's smelly. One to the parakeet.

He waits.

Okay, says the parakeet. We'll have a trial period.

Good, says Isidore. Now Gaius, where are you staying in Paris?

Nowhere at present, says Gaius.

Then you must stay with me a few days, says Isidore. It will be good to catch up.

Belle returns from the toilets.

Mademoiselle, your charge now has a new parrot, says Isidore.

Lovely, says Belle. But he'll be Gaius's charge for the rest of the month. I'm heading to Ferney with some girlfriends.

Really? says Gaius. Never mind, I suppose we can cope.

Isidore smiles with his mouth, but his eyes say: So the parakeet will be in my apartment. That is annoying.


No comments: