Tuesday, June 22, 2021

On Top Of Time

Right. Let's call it a night, says Gaius.

I might climb this tree, says the kakapo.

You climb trees! says Gaius. I had forgotten.

Why should you remember? asks the kakapo.

Good question, says Arthur.

As long as I remember, says the kakapo.

Of course, says Gaius. May we stay and watch you?

I'd rather you didn't, says the kakapo. 

Very well, says Gaius. Good night and farewell. I'll send the ranger the photo of you and Arthur.

Many thanks, says the kakapo. 

She starts climbing the tree. She suspects it's a rimu.

Gaius and Arthur make their way back to the bunkhouse.

A productive night, remarks Gaius.

I suppose so, says Arthur.

The ranger is waiting, outside the bunkhouse.

How did it go? asks the ranger.

Excellently, says Gaius. We met a kakapo, and a rare white kiwi.

Learn anything new? asks the ranger.

The rare white kiwi knows about cartoon characters, says Gaius. That surprised me.

That surprises me too, says the ranger.

And I have a photo of the kakapo that I'd like to send you, says Gaius. It's her with Arthur. She requests that you print it out so she can use it as a book mark.

How strange, says the ranger. She should have plenty of bookmarks.

It's for the book about Lingshan Mountain, says Gaius. Arthur has been there. They got talking.

You got talking, says Arthur. 

We all got talking, says Gaius. It was most pleasant. 

Okay, says the ranger. Send me the photo. I'll get onto it.

Gaius and Arthur enter the bunkhouse. 

Katherine is already in bed but David is fretting.

Do you both realise that the Team Presentation in Brest is tomorrow? says David.

We have cut it a bit fine, says Gaius. But Arthur's on top of it.

We can miss the team presentation, says Arthur. I've got special permission.

(He hasn't, but getting it shouldn't be hard).

All right, but Stage One is on Saturday, says David. We mustn't miss that.

We won't miss it, says Arthur.

What about our bikes? asks David.

Bikes. Easy, says Arthur. 

He decides he had better think seriously about some of these issues, in the morning.


No comments: