Monday, June 21, 2021

One Goes One Wants

I have nocturnal things to do, says the rare white kiwi. I'm off.

I do have more questions, says Gaius.

Like why don't I use my large brain size? says the kiwi.

No, says Gaius. It was crass of me to mention it.

Very crass, says the kiwi. Goodbye.

It steps behind the tree it emerged from.

Arthur watches it go.

He can do this because he is not directly in front of the tree.

The rare white kiwi is soon a grey blur in the dark vegetation.

Did you get a good photo? asks Arthur.

Yes, says Gaius. And a fine one of the kakapo.

Can you take a photo of me with Arthur? asks the kakapo.

I don't see why not, says Gaius. Unless Arthur objects. Do you?

No, says Arthur.

Gaius takes a photo of Arthur and the kakapo.

It's a good one.

Let me see it, says the kakapo. 

Gaius shows her the photo.

Chaste proximity, says the kakapo. Nice. Is there any way I could get a copy?

I suppose I could send it to the ranger, says Gaius. 

Do that, says the kakapo. I'll get him to print out a copy and keep it in my book about Lingshan Mountain.

A pleasant memory, says Gaius.

Of what? says Arthur.

I know it's your memory, says Gaius, but she likes it.

I do, says the kakapo. It adds a further dimension to the mountain

Arthur doesn't see how it adds that.

Now, Arthur, says Gaius, slurping a large mouthful of beer from his can. Have you done anything about getting us to Brittany before the Tour de France start date?

Yes, says Arthur. 

And? asks Gaius. 

Being here on Te Hauturu-o-Toi is equivalent to quarantining, says Arthur. So we can fly directly to France from New Zealand and join our team bubbles.

Excellent! says Gaius. And have you organised tickets?

Sure, says Arthur. We get back to the mainland tomorrow, and fly out in the evening.

Good man, says Gaius.

Arthur hopes things will turn out in the way he has indicated. Without complications.

And anyway, what complications could there be?


No comments: