Wednesday, June 23, 2021

As A Clown

Morning, on Te Hauturu-o-Toi.

In the bunkhouse, it's baked beans for breakfast.

I must call Steve and arrange for our pickup, says Katherine.

Ask him to come early, says David. 

Yes, we ought to get back to the mainland, says Gaius. Arthur, when are we due at the airport?

I'll just do some checking, says Arthur.

He goes outside.

Calls Sweezus.

Hey bro, says Sweezus. Where are you?

Still in New Zealand, says Arthur.

Fuck! says Sweezus. Today's the Team Presentation.

I know, says Arthur. Can you get me out of it?

I suppose so, says Sweezus. As long as you get here by Saturday.

Sure, says Arthur. Just have to book tickets. I'll do it right now.

Let me know how you go, says Sweezus.

Arthur tries an online booking website. On it he reads:

To apply for special permission to travel overseas, call this number.

He calls the number.

Yes?

I need to fly to Brittany, later today. 

What is your reason?

I'm a member of Team Condor.

Oh! You're a Tour de France rider?

Yes, and there are two others with me, who need to get there as well.

Also riders?

Yes, in Team Philosophe.

Shouldn't be a problem. I'll talk to my manager.

Arthur waits.

The manager comes on.

We can fast track you on one condition. You ride as New Zealanders.

Arthur supposes that the manager is joking.

Fine by me, says Arthur. 

So he is granted the tickets.

Now for the bike problem.

He calls Belle.

Hello Arthur, says Belle. I bet I know why you're calling.

Why am I? asks Arthur.

You're stuck in New Zealand and have to fly directly to France and haven't done any preparations, says Belle.

We've been busy, says Arthur.

I'm sure, says Belle. Well, so have I been busy. Papa and I brought all the bikes with us to Brittany a week ago. 

You're as reliable as Gaius thinks I am, says Arthur.

Thanks Arthur, says Belle. I really did it for papa, and for Sweezie.

I know, says Arthur. But thanks anyway.

See you in Brest, says Belle. I assume you'll be getting here by Saturday?

Yes, says Arthur. See you then.

He calls Sweezus.

All sorted, says Arthur. I just have to ride as a New Zealander. So do the others.

Hilarious! says Sweezus. And I've found you a stand-in for the Team Presentation.

Who? asks Arthur. 

Marcel, says Sweezus. He's here as a clown, but he's willing to do it.

Okay, says Arthur. Just don't let him talk to the media.

Course not, says Sweezus. See you in Brest, bro!

Arthur is pleased with his wheeling and dealing.

He enters the bunkhouse to update the others.


No comments: