Monday, June 7, 2021

See You In Brittany

David walks back to the bunkhouse, leaving Baudin and Dufresne digesting their protein balls.

His phone rings. It's Vello.

Vello! says David.

How's the island adventure? asks Vello.

I'm on a mission, at the moment, says David.

So am I, says Vello.

I'm not sure I performed it correctly, says David. I was sent to carry out surveillance on Baudin and Dufresne. But I made myself known to them.

I'm sure it won't matter, says Vello.

I did learn their intentions, says David.

Well, there you go, says Vello. What are their intentions?

To count kakapo, independently, says David. We suspected it might be more sinister. But it isn't.

You are too trusting, says Vello.

No, I fed them protein balls as a precaution and left them immobile, says David.

That doesn't sound like you, says Vello. Bravo! When are you returning?

We leave the island at four tomorrow, says David. Why?

The Tour! says Vello. I hope you haven't forgotten.

Of course not, says David. Should I fly straight from Auckland to Brest?

No, says Vello. There are too many quarantine restrictions. You and Gaius must travel with me in the bubble.

Why don't you form your own bubble, says David. Gaius, Arthur and I will form a separate bubble, and we'll meet up in Brest. 

I knew you shouldn't have gone to New Zealand, says Vello. 

Au revoir, mon ami, says David. See you in Brittany.

He heads for the bunkhouse, where two more cans of baked beans have been opened.

Is this dinner? asks David.

Afraid so, says Katherine. I don't suppose you still have those protein balls?

The lobsters have eaten them, says David. They swallowed them whole. Did you know lobsters could do gastric whistles?

No, says Katherine.

Did you know, Gaius? asks David.

No I didn't, says Gaius. Just a minute, I must write that down.


No comments: