Thursday, August 12, 2021

Cannot But Be

The last push Bertille gave was a powerful one.

The model ship zoomed away with a whoosh.

She is now eating a Paris-Brest pastry, facing the rocks.

The saints are still looking skywards, savouring cream.

Gaius is wondering if it is too dark to keep looking for sea slugs.

Time to leave the beach now, Bertille, says her mother. Teeth and bed.

Okay, says Bertille. 

That reminds me, says Gaius. Where is Terence? He had better come in.

I'll get him, says Bertille. She runs down to where she last saw him.

She runs back.

They've drifted out, says Bertille. Someone do something!

Gaius wades into the sea.

I can't see them, says Gaius. Where are those binoculars?

Here, says Bertille's mother.

What is happening? asks Saint Arnoc.

Terence and Rusty have drifted out to sea, says Gaius. And it's dark, adding a further complication.

Dear me, says Saint Arnoc. The lighthouse light should come on any minute.

What use will that be? asks Gaius.

They will see it, says Saint Arnoc. And be comforted.

.......

Terence and Rusty are drifting towards the horizon.

Can I be the captain? asks Terence.

No, I'm the captain, says Rusty.

Why? asks Terence.

Because the captain is always the captain, says Rusty.

Hey, want to play cannot but be? asks Terence.

I don't know how to, says Rusty.

One person asks a question, says Terence. And the answer is cannot but be.

You go first, says Rusty.

What if  I was the captain? says Terence.

Cannot but be? says Rusty. 

YES! says Terence. I'm the captain.

It is apparent that Terence's ability to play the game has improved.

Okay, says Rusty. You're the captain. Make us change direction.

YOU couldn't, says Terence.

No I couldn't, says Rusty. 

The wind'll blow us back soon, says Terence. I don't have to do it.

Aye aye, captain, says Rusty.

The vessel floats further towards the horizon.

A flash of light from the Phare du Portzic illuminates a thin stretch of water.

On the thin stretch of water floats a wet piece of cardboard.

On the wet piece of cardboard, an ancient oystercatcher feels some degree of comfort.


No comments: