Thursday, August 26, 2021

Dancing About Like Anything

Come on, says Bertille. Let's go!

I might come with you, says Gaius. Is there room in the car?

I'll ask dad, says Bertille.

She runs up the stone steps.

A minute passes.

Yes! she calls down. There's room in the car.

Off we go then, says Gaius. Where did I put the elysia?

Here, says Saint Ténénan. Are you taking it with you?

Indeed, says Gaius. There are bound to be people at Oceanopolis who will be interested in its progress.

And what is its progress? asks Saint Arnoc. He peers into the container.

Dear me, it looks anxious!

Anxious? says Gaius.

It's scared of the otter, says Terence.

Nonsense, says Gaius. It's probably confused by what's happening. Imagine if you suddenly became just a head. 

I'd dance about like anything! says Terence.

What with? asks Gaius. All you could do is eat and hope for the best.

Let me tell it, says Terence.

You can hold the container when we get in the car, says Gaius. 

Do I have to come? asks Rusty.

Don't you want to? asks Gaius.

I do, says Rusty, but it won't be like the museum. I'll be a normal kid, like Terence.

I'm not a normal kid, says Terence. 

But you wear shorts, says Rusty. I've got a bare bottom.

You can wear my shorts, says Terence.

Then you'll have a bare bottom, says Rusty.

Neither one of you needs to have a bare bottom, says Saint Arnoc. I'll rustle up something.

Do we have anything that small? asks Saint Ténénan.

What's holding everyone up? asks Bertille, coming half way down the steps.

Shorts for Rusty, says Gaius.  He's reluctant to come with a bare bottom.

That's fair, says Bertille, It was okay on Napoleon's barge, when he was a cherub.

Yes! says Rusty. On a sea horse.

I'll find him some of mine, says Bertille. What's your favourite colour, Rusty?

I don't care, says Rusty. But I'd like one's like Terence, with lizards.

These are geckoes, says Terence.

I'll see what I've got, says Bertille. Come on up.

Enjoy yourselves, says Saint Arnoc.

Ditto, says Saint Ténénan. 

Gaius, Terence and Rusty go up the stone steps. 

A few drops of water slop out of the plastic container in which the elysia is dancing about like anything....

No comments: