Thursday, August 19, 2021

Hero Or Fool

He won't be needing that coverlet, says one of the oystercatchers.

Very well, says Saint Arnoc. How about the cardboard?

Nor the cardboard, says the oystercatcher. He will decompose here on the sand. Insects and bacteria are already working their magic.

Magic? says Terence. What magic?

A disappearing trick, says the oystercatcher. We all do it. How many living birds do you see?

I don't know, says Terence.

Lots, says Bertille.

And how many dead ones? asks the oystercatcher.

Nature takes care of her own, says Saint Arnoc. Now to recover the coverlet.

He steps forward and unrolls the dead body.

Leave us, says the oystercatcher. I and my friends wish to say our farewells.

Farewells, says Terence.

Not to you, says the oystercatcher.

I shall stay here on the shore, says Gaius. But I shan't interfere with the proceedings. I shall be looking for the elusive elysia.

Come with me, boys, says Saint Arnoc. The dishes need doing, and this coverlet could do with a wash.

Terence and Rusty plod up the steps behind Saint Arnoc and Saint Ténénan.

Bumhole! Why can't the saints do their own chores?

Bertille goes up too, to tell Jean-Claude to forget about drying the cardboard.

Gaius bends over. Has he seen a sea slug? Or is he pretending?

He is not far from the oystercatchers' farewell.

If he remains unobtrusive, he may hear what they say to their dead comrade. This may be a world first. If only he had a notebook and pencil. Then he remembers his phone.

There are four oystercatchers surrounding the dead one.

First one speaks in an avian tone: Hero or fool?

Second one: Both, as we all are.

Third one: What does it matter?

Fourth one: In the end, little.

All: Farewell old comrade!

They disperse, stopping now and then to poke for a mollusc.

Fascinating, says Gaius. Moving and succinct. I have witnessed the best of bird brotherhood. I do hope my phone worked.

He tries for a replay.

No comments: