Monday, August 16, 2021

Three Times Round And Duck

Terence falls backwards, onto the deck.

Crack! A few planks split.

And Terence loses some fragments of back.

But it doesn't matter.

We're saved, cries Terence.

It's the start of the rescue, says the old oystercatcher. 

Same thing, says Terence.

We still might sink, says Rusty.

It wouldn't matter, says Terence. He's brought us a rope.

I have, says the old oystercatcher. And it's up to you boys to tie it.

Rusty can do it, says Terence.

What makes you think I can do it? asks Rusty.

How did you get the ship from the museum to the ocean? asks Terence.

I got a lift, says Rusty.

Oh, says Terence. 

Did you think I dragged it all that way on a rope? asks Rusty.

No, says Terence. But what now?

I'll direct you, says the old oystercatcher. First, decide where to attach it. I suggest the main mast. 

So do I, says Terence. And I'm the captain.

Good one, says Rusty.

Now, one of you holds one end, says the old oystercatcher. The other one holds the rope in the middle. Then the one with the end walks around the mast and the other one doesn't. Then the one with the end ducks under the rope and keeps walking round the mast. Do this three times. Then comes the hard part.

You'd make a good parrot, says Terence. 

I hope that's not my reward, says the old oystercatcher. To be promoted to parrot.

Your choice, says Terence. Keep talking.

Right, says the old oystercatcher. The one with the long end holds the rope taut and horizontal, the one with the end loops it over and under the long end, pulls it tight, then repeats the same action.

Okay, says Terence. Let's do it.

He takes one end and runs round the mast.

Stop! That's enough! cries Rusty. 

He ducks under the rope. Now for the hard part.

The deck is already under water. 

Forget the hard part, says the old oystercatcher. Give me both ends. I'll have to wing it.

He takes both ends in his beak, and starts flying.

Plop. He drops into the sea.

This was an accident waiting to happen.

We're done for, says Rusty. 

He would have been a good parrot, says Terence.

You don't get it, says Rusty. We're doomed.

I've been doomed before, says Terence. Once I rode a bicycle into Lake Geneva. I always get rescued.

Who saves you? asks Rusty.

Whoever's there, says Terence.

No one's here, says Rusty.

But he is wrong.

The sound of an outboard motor buzzes over the waves.


No comments: