Friday, August 13, 2021

It Tends To Disintegrate

The lighthouse light flashes across the dark water.

Can you see something? asks Terence.

Everything, says Rusty.

What is it? asks Terence.

Water, says Rusty. 

And sky, says Terence. 

But no wind, says Rusty. 

You can't see wind, says Terence.

I said that, says Rusty.

I mean ever, says Terence.

If you say so, says Rusty.

But can you see that thing in the water? asks Terence. It's getting nearer.

Rusty leans over the side.

It's only a bird, says Rusty.

A parrot? asks Terence. If it's a parrot we're saved.

We're not saved, says Rusty. It's a bird like that other bird, only older.

Those are nearly like parrots, says Terence. You can train them.

The older bird floats closer.

Terence calls out to it.

Hey! 

Alloo! calls the old oystercatcher. Have you seen a bird resting on a piece of wet cardboard?

Yes, you, says Terence.

Apart from me, says the old oystercatcher.

No, says Terence. We're looking for Saint Roley's brother.

Snap, says the old oystercatcher. So am I.

Come aboard, says Rusty.

That's for me to say, says Terence. I'm the captain.

Then say it, says Rusty.

Come aboard, says Terence. Bring your wet cardboard.

The old oystercatcher clambers over the model ship's side.

His cardboard remains in the water.

Rusty retrieves it, in a soggy condition.

Do you always look for Saint Roley's brother? asks Terence.

I do, says the old oystercatcher. Ever since I retired.

On the same piece of cardboard? asks Rusty.

No. It tends to disintegrate, says the old oystercatcher.

No one says anything for a while.

But all three are thinking.

If it tends to disintegrate, what does that mean for Saint Roley's brother?

Perhaps I'm wasting my time, says the old oystercatcher.

Me too, says Terence. Hey, want to play cannot but be?

Watch out, says Rusty. You might lose your job.

No fear of that, says the oystercatcher. I'm an old hand at cannot but be.

Go on then, ask a question, says Terence.

What would it be? asks the old oystercatcher.

Up to you, says Terence.

That's the question, says the old oystercatcher.

Cannot but be! cries Rusty.

Terence is rattled.


No comments: