Wednesday, August 11, 2021

What's Like A Cake?

Of course, the ship floats.

And it is not dark yet.

I'll just step on board, says Rusty. I won't go anywhere.

Can I go on board too? asks Terence.

All right, says Gaius. Seeing it's not dark yet. 

I'll watch them, says Bertille.

I've brought cakes, says Bertille's mother. In case you were all tired of potatoes.

What a treat, says Saint Arnoc. 

Let's sit on a rock and eat them, says Saint Ténénan. 

The saints sit on a rock near Bertille's mother.

Bertille remains by the water. 

Push us out, says Rusty.

Not too far, says Gaius.

He is poking about in the sand.

He has not given up on finding the right sort of sea slug.

Like a cake? calls Bertille's mother.

What is? asks Gaius.

Would you care for one? asks Bertille's mother.

If I found one, says Gaius. But I don't expect it to look like a cake. More like a .....

You are speaking at cross purposes, says Saint Arnoc. Mathilde is offering you a cake.

Oh! my mistake, apologies, says Gaius. I should love one.

He does feel like a cake.

He walks the few steps to the rocks to select a cake from Mathilde's offering.

There are three cakes left.

Elaborate cakes, says Gaius. You have gone to a great deal of trouble.

I bought them, says Mathilde. These are called Paris-Brest. Choux pastry filled with whipped cream and sprinkled with powdered sugar and flaked almonds. They're supposed to resemble a bicycle wheel. Hence the hole in the middle.

Delightful, says Gaius. And what is this red one?

A rubis, says Mathilde. Almond and lime base with creamy raspberry filling, a layer of white chocolate mousse and a raspberry glaze.

Too large for my appetite, says Gaius. But I should like to try it.

I'll cut it in half, says Mathilde. I'll just go up to the cottage, for a knife.

All this takes some time. It grows darker. 

The saints look skywards, and try to retain the sweet taste of whipped cream by not talking.

Bertille is tired of watching the sailors.

I'm going to get a cake, says Bertille.

Give us a last push, says Rusty.

She gives them a big one.


No comments: