Tuesday, August 17, 2021

So Far And Plop

I see them! shouts Gaius.

Jean-Claude cuts the motor.

Where?

Over there, says Gaius. A mast, two curly heads sticking out of the water, an oystercatcher that seems to have met with an accident, and a floating piece of cardboard.

Yes, that must be them, says Jean-Claude. 

Jean-Claude starts the motor again, and the dinghy moves forward. Chug-chug.

Terence! calls Gaius. Stay calm. I shall lift you into the dinghy. 

Me first! says Rusty.

But aren't you the captain? says Gaius. 

No, says Rusty. Terence is the captain. We played cannot but be.

Dear me, says Gaius. It's a long time since I heard of anyone playing cannot but be.

What is it? asks Jean-Claude.

Never mind. Time is of the essence, says Gaius. I'll lift the cherub on board. Then I'll rescue Terence.

He lifts Rusty out of the water. 

Thanks, says Rusty.

Sit here, says Jean-Claude. 

Gaius lifts Terence out of the water.

What a weight! says Gaius. I'm surprised the ship floated at all.

Terence sits next to Rusty, in the middle of the dinghy.

Now for the ship, says Jean-Claude.

Only the mast is showing, says Gaius. 

There's a rope around it, says Rusty. See the end there?

Gaius peers over the side of the dinghy.

Is it tied firmly? asks Gaius.

Yes, says Terence. That old bird taught us how to do it.

Gaius looks at the old oystercatcher, floating redundant.

Its neck is broken, says Gaius. What happened?

It tried to pull us, says Rusty. 

With both ends of the rope, says Terence. It only got that far and PLOP!

A noble sacrifice, says Gaius. I wonder where the other end is? If we had both ends we'd be able to tow it.

He pokes at the floating dead bird.

The other end of the rope appears, breaking the surface.

Wonderful, says Gaius.

He grabs both ends. Ties one to a cleat. Then ties the other one to a cleat on the other side of the dinghy.

Done, says Gaius. Let's go.

What about my parrot? asks Terence. We can't leave him. I promised him a reward.

For goodness sake, says Gaius. He's beyond rewarding.

I know, says Terence. That's why I have to choose for him. He wants to be a parrot.

He didn't say that, says Rusty.

I'm sure he didn't, says Gaius. But if you insist, we'll bring him along and give him a proper send-off in the morning.

Yay! says Terence.

Gaius drags the old oystercatcher onto the dingy.

And his cardboard, says Terence.

More time is wasted in trying to lift the cardboard out of the water.

At last the rescue party is ready to return to the shore.

No comments: