Sunday, August 1, 2021

Under A Crown Behind Golden Statues

I told it to wait here! says Terence.

But it hasn't, says Bertille. Perhaps it was hungry.

I'll find it, says Terence. You write the message.

In yellow? asks Bertille.

You can go over it with ink when I find the sea hare, says Terence.

He starts looking.

Bertille sits on a rock.

Saint Arnoc comes up, and sits beside her.

Need some help with the message? asks Saint Arnoc.

I'm just thinking, says Bertille. We don't need the sea hare. 

No you don't, says Saint Arnoc. You could just launch the bottle.

But Terence has located the sea hare.

I was foraging, says the sea hare. In the area.

Okay, says Terence. You didn't lie. Are you ready for the mission? We got you a bottle.

I'm not going in a bottle, says the sea hare. 

Your message'll get wet, says Terence.

The medium is the message, says the sea hare. 

What does that mean? asks Terence.

Me, says the sea hare. I can swim. You should see me.

Okay, says Terence. He picks up the sea hare and wades into the sea.

He drops the sea hare in the water.

It swims around him, in an elaborate fashion.

No need to show off, says Terence.

I wasn't, says the sea hare. That's how we do it, by flapping our parapodia.

It shoots between Terence's legs and heads off towards the chocolate box which is nearing the horizon.

Bumhole! cries Terence.

He stomps back to shore, where Gaius is chatting to Bertille's parents, who have come down the steps.

Yes, indeed, Gaius is saying. I agree it would be be educational. Of course he must go.

It SWAM OFF! says Terence. 

Dear me, says Gaius. Did you watch it? Wonderful to see them flap their parapodia.

No it isn't, says Terence.

Now Terence, says Gaius, how would you like to go on an outing with Bertille and her parents?

Where to? asks Terence.

To the Musée National de la Marine, says Gaius. You will see models of ships, and various maritime objects of interest, including Napoleon's barge.

A beautiful barge, says Bertille's mother. I'm sure you would like it. It's adorned with a crown and golden statues.

Terence knows he should stay on the beach and find a new sea slug.

On the other hand, he sees himself sailing towards the horizon, under a crown, behind golden statues....

Although not how this might come about.


No comments: