Friday, April 22, 2022

It's Marigolds Today

Wittgenstein pulls up in Yamba.

Roo-kai  floats down to the pavement.

Well met, says Gaius, leaning out of the passenger side window.

I was waiting here for you, says Roo-kai.

Where is the Mazda? asks Wittgenstein, leaning over.

You must have passed it, says Roo-kai. 

We have not, says Wittgenstein. I would have noticed.

Angourie Point, says Roo-kai. South of Yamba. There was a turn-off.

Why didn't you wait for us there? asks Gaius.

Not my job, says Roo-kai.

Your job is being my parrot, says Terence, from the depths of the camper.

Forgive me, says Roo-kai.

Okay, says Terence. Get in.

No, get out, says Roo-kai. There are excellent things to do here in Yamba.

Can I? asks Terence.

I suppose so, says Gaius. You stay with Roo-kai. We'll drive back to Angourie Point, and see what the lads are up to. 

Yay! says Terence. Where are we going? 

Yamba Fair, says Roo-kai.

Will there be horses? asks Terence.

Are you still going on about horses? asks Roo-kai. 

I have to, says Terence. All I'm getting so far is a slice of one.

I don't believe it, says Roo-kai. 

And I have to share it with Unhappy, says Terence.

He'll eat his half, says Roo-kai.

Terence looks alarmed.

I was joking, says Roo-kai.

They walk till they reach Yamba Fair, which is a shopping mall.

Roo-kai heads straight for Little Green Thumbs.

Hello! says Mandy. Have you come to plant your own seedlings? It's marigolds today.

She hands Terence a bio-pot, and shows him the potting mix.

Terence lines up behind three other kids.

Roo-kai watches. He would love to have his own bio-pot and fill it with marigold seedlings.

Water them daily, and watch them grow into glorious marigolds.

He hopes Terence will have the patience.


No comments: