Thursday, April 7, 2022

Running From The Alien

They drive on, towards Grafton.

It's raining heavily, but the camper windows are open.

The wipers are swishing. Frop-frip-frop.

A feathery mass lands on the front windscreen.

Sweezus stops.

It's Roo-kai.

Thanks, says Roo-kai, coming in through the passenger window. It's too wet for flying.

Sure is, says Sweezus. 

You didn't wait for me, says Roo-kai.

Sorry, says Sweezus. 

I stayed behind to have a few words with Ninja, says Roo-kai.

He's half mine now, says Terence. Did you tell him?

How could I tell him? says Roo-kai. 

You are half Terence's, says Terence. That's how.

At the time I didn't know that, says Roo-kai. I simply warned him not to expect to see too much of Arthur.

And did he answer? asks Arthur.

He answered with a sound that could be interpreted in several ways, says Roo-kai.

Prrrrt! says Terence.

Something like that, says Roo-kai. Why are the windows open?

Mexican beans, says Sweezus. Squeeze through to the back and get dry.

We saw the Big Banana, says Terence. I took a photo.

I saw it too, says Roo-kai. 

I've been inside it, says Terence.

Not today? says Roo-kai.

A long time ago, says Terence. At night, with the Magpie.

First I've heard of the Magpie, says Sweezus. 

It could make train noises, says Terence. It could even do crashes.

Yeah, magpies can do that, says Sweezus.

We saw an alien, says Terence. A red alien glowing inside the banana.

No wonder Farky wouldn't go in, says Sweezus.

I bet it was a drinks fridge, says Arthur. 

Yeah, probably, says Sweezus.

Terence remembers that, yes, it was a drinks fridge. And the red glowing alien was a sports drink.

But it had been scary.

And Farky had run away. 


No comments: