Wednesday, April 13, 2022

French Flies

Time to turn in, says Gaius. Early start in the morning.

What for? asks Sweezus.

A trip to the fruit and veg shop, says Gaius. And a plant nursery.

Oh yeah, for curly cabbage, says Sweezus. Okay.

I'll just check that the Mazda is locked, and the windows are closed, says Wittgenstein. 

He steps out of the camper.

And onto a frog.

Ouch! cries Quiet-Tartus. Watch where you're stepping!

I didn't expect you to be there, says Wittgenstein. Sorry.

He helps Quiet-Tartus inside.

Shorty-Tartus, who has not been stepped on, follows.

Dear me, says Gaius. What's happened?

He's squashed! cries Terence. Quiet-Tartus is ruined!

I'm not ruined, snaps Quiet-Tartus. I just have a headache.

That is troubling, says Gaius. Do you think you will get through the night?

Probably, grumbles Quiet-Tartus.

I'll sit up with him, says Shorty-Tartus.

Me too, says Terence. Come over here. I'll tell you some frog jokes.

The two frogs hop over to Terence who is sitting beside Unhappy, who is dozing.

What's a frog's favourite instrument? asks Terence.

Unhappy stops dozing and pricks up his ears.

Try penguin, he whispers.

A penguin? says Quiet-Tartus.

What? says Terence.

Nothing, says Quiet-Tartus. Just a mad guess. What's the answer?

A trom-BONE, says Terence.

That's a dog joke, says Unhappy. 

I know, says Terence. But I'm calling it a frog joke because I'm asking a frog.

Tricky, says Shorty-Tartus. Want to hear a cement kid joke?

No, says Terence. Wait, yes, okay.

What do cement kids eat at Macdonald's? asks Shorty-Tartus.

Nothing, says Terence. 

It's a JOKE, says Shorty-Tartus. Have a guess.

Can't, says Terence. What's the answer? 

French flies, says Shorty-Tartus.

Ha ha, laughs Unhappy. It was a frog joke! 

Here's another one, says Shorty-Tartus. What do you call a sad frog?

What? asks Terence, who didn't get the joke about French flies.

Unhoppy! says Shorty-Tartus.

Ha ha ha! Even Terence gets this one. 


No comments: