Thursday, April 28, 2022

Useless Protection

What's the story? asks Roo-kai. And why are you driving?

Needs must, replies Gaius.  

Where's my treat? asks Terence.

All in good time, mutters Gaius.

He is not used to driving.

Have you renewed your licence? asks Roo-kai.

No I haven't, says Gaius. I really must do it.

Watch out! says Roo-kai.

Thank you, says Gaius, avoiding a low speed collision.

At least tell me what it is, says Terence.

What what is? asks Gaius.

My treat, says Terence.

I'll let Ludwig tell you, says Gaius.

Where is he? asks Terence.

Gaius takes the turnoff to Angourie Point.

He's out on the ocean, says Gaius. 

Surfing? asks Roo-kai.

I suppose you could say that, says Gaius. But really just paddling and searching.

What for? asks Terence.

Not Arthur and Sweezus! says Roo-kai.

No, no, says Gaius. They too will be paddling and searching. That's why I had to drive back to Yamba to collect you.

But what has been lost? asks Roo-kai.

Unhappy, says Gaius. He followed Sweezus out, and must have got into trouble. We found his pennyroyal crown, floating.

I knew it was useless protection, says Terence.

Poor Unhappy, says Roo-kai. He may be lying at the bottom of the ocean.

Wah! cries Terence.

I'm sure they'll locate him, says Gaius.

No! wails Terence. I left Monty behind!

Who is Monty? asks Gaius.

A toy horse, says Roo-kai. He'll still be in the dishwasher at the Bean Scene.

May I ask how Terence came by a toy horse? asks Gaius. 

I earned it, says Terence.

For being lost, says Roo-kai. It was my fault.

Let's go back! cries Terence.

No, says Gaius. Rescuing a dog, lost at sea, is more pressing than recovering a toy horse from a dishwasher.

And you'll get your treat sooner, says Roo-kai. We can pick Monty up later.

And my pot plant! says Terence. You left that behind too!

Dear me, says Gaius. How many unfortunate events can happen in twenty four hours?

Funny he should say that. 

It's about to get worse.


No comments: