Tuesday, April 5, 2022

Tree Rhymes

 Is banala a word? asks Terence.

Not that I know of, says Sweezus.

Trying to think of a rhyme for koala? asks Arthur.

No, says Terence. 

A poem doesn't have to rhyme, says Arthur.

Yeah that's true, says Sweezus. Remember that poem you wrote about the fig tree?

That's not a good example, says Arthur.

Say it, says Terence. 

I passed a fig tree / and perceived the whole tree/ I am like the fig tree..... says Arthur.

They're the best rhymes ever, says Terence.

Except they're not rhymes, says Sweezus.

I don't care, says Terence. Now I've got an example.

He thinks a bit more.

Then...

Got it! says Terence.

I passed a koala, a whole koala, I'm like the koala.....

You're just copying Arthur, says Sweezus.

It's not finished, says Terence.

He continues.

Except he's at the zoo, the koala/ and I'm at the Big Banala.

Not yet, says Arthur.

You going to let him get away with banala? says Sweezus.

Depends how he ends it, says Arthur.

I have ended it, says Terence. At the Big Banala.

Do you want to hear the rest of mine? asks Arthur. 

More tree rhymes? says Terence. No thanks.

I am the same as the leaves/ and the cells of which leaves are fabricated/ but this is only true if...

Leaves are like fingers! says Sweezus.

You remembered, says Arthur.

I never really got it, says Sweezus. 

I'm not like the fig tree, says Arthur. That was my point.

My poem is better, says Terence. Because, want to know why?

Yeah, says Sweezus. 

Claws, says Terence.

I don't remember any claws in it, says Sweezus.

That's my point, says Terence.

Sweezus and Arthur confer briefly.

Then.....

It's good, says Arthur. You get a half share in the baby koala. Congratulations.

Yay! says Terence. 

He is proud of his poem.

Proud of what's in it, and prouder of what he left out.


No comments: