Prong whirrs off to tell Arthur to hurry.
Terence remains in his seat next to the man.
Is it an animal? asks the man.
No, says Terence.
Vegetable? asks the man.
Why would we rescue a vegetable? asks Terence.
Are you sure it's not an animal? asks the man.
It looks like an animal, says Terence.
It's a TOY! says the man.
This is close to being correct but it isn't.
At least Terence thinks that it isn't.
Wrong, says Terence.
But close? says the man.
A bit close, says Terence.
Where is Arthur?
We should play a different game, says Terence.
As your parrot advised, says the man.
Yes, says Terence. How about Cannot But Be?
I don't think I know Cannot But Be, says the man.
I'll teach you, says Terence. It's easy.
Go on then, says the man.
He doesn't really care to play Cannot But Be.
Where is Arthur?
I ask a question, says Terence. And you say Cannot But Be something starting with B.
Can I have an example? asks the man.
Yes, says Terence. What if there are two bees in a box?
Cannot But Be two bees in a box? says the man.
That's the long answer, says Terence.
What's the short answer? asks the man.
Cannot But Bees! says Terence.
So it doesn't have to make sense, says the man.
Why? asks Terence.
It's your game, says the man. You tell me why.
Terence is trying to think of an answer to why Cannot But Be doesn't have to make sense when every time he has played it it has, when, fortunately...
Arthur comes back.
Stop! says Terence.
Arthur has already stopped.
I was going to pinch your leg if you walked past, says Terence.
Then I would have kept walking, says Arthur, and you wouldn't have got this red drink.
Yay! A red sports drink.
Glad you're back, says the man.
Me too, says Terence.
He pops the top of his drink and sucks noisily.
Arthur remains standing.
No comments:
Post a Comment