Monday, August 10, 2026

The Thing Will Be Wanting To Come

 Flyingsmarty catches up with Supermarty.

They are level with the empty seat, where Arthur had been sitting.

That's where Arthur was sitting, says Prong.

You must be Terence, says the man who was sitting next to Arthur before Arthur moved on.

Must I? says Terence.

I assume so, says the man. You're with this drone parrot, and you're too young for a phone.

I'm not too young, says Terence. But where's Arthur?

Moved on, says the man. But you can sit here if you like.

Don't do it! warns Prong.

He might come looking for you, says the man, and this is the first place he'll look.

No it isn't, says Prong. It's the second place.

What's the first place? asks Terence.

Where you were when he left you, says Prong. Next to the kid.

Back that way, says the man, indicating the direction that Terence has come from.

Yes, says Terence.

Then he'll pass by here first, says the man. And you can attract his attention.

This sounds like a good plan to Terence.

He already knows how he'll attract Arthur's attention.

By pinching his leg. It will be funny.

He sits down next to the man.

I hear you're going to Barcelona? says the man.

Yes, says Terence. On a mission.

Secret mission, says Prong.

Yes, a secret mission, says Terence. 

I know something about it, says the man. 

Like what? asks Terence. 

You're taking a rope and a net, says the man.

But what for? asks Terence.

So your drone parrot can fly up and steal something from the Virgin on the Sagrada Familia, says the man.

What something? asks Terence. 

That I don't know, says the man.

I'm not going to steal anything, says Prong.

No she isn't, says Terence. The thing will be wanting to come.

Yes, wanting to come, says Prong. The rope and the net are just for its safety.

I see, says the man. So it's a sentient being.

What does that mean? asks Terence.

Alive, says the man. I guess it won't be a crime.

Unless I break something, says Prong.

Like a sticking out thing, says Terence. There used to be lots of those.

I'm sure you'll be careful, says the man.

Prong's always careful, says Terence.

Flyingsmarty is always careful, says Prong.

Is Flyingsmarty your code name? asks the man.

Prong isn't sure that she should have revealed it.


No comments: