Monday, August 31, 2026

Moon Wisdom

Hola, mi amigo! says Federico.

Hola, Fedo, says Arthur. 

Good to see you , says Federico. Can I buy you a drink?

Arthur doesn't say no. 

Federico orders two absinthes.

And what are you doing in Barcelona? asks Federico. 

This and that, says Arthur. You?

Poetry slam, says Federico. What do think of this one? Moon came to the forge in its petticoat of nard.

That's one of your old ones, says Arthur.

Who will know? asks Federico.

I know, says Arthur. 

Apart from you, says Federico. 

Moon, moon, says Arthur. What's with you about moons?

I like moons, says Federico. The moon is dead, dead. It will come back to life in the spring.

Moon wisdom, says Arthur. 

Federico orders more absinthe.

Arthur remembers he was going to ask Federico something about a toyshop.

What was it?

In the branches of of the laurel tree I saw two dark doves, says Federico. One was the moon and one was the sun.... You look bored.

Me, never, says Arthur.

Tell me about this and that, says Federico. 

All right, says Arthur. Any idea where I'd find an open toyshop?

At this hour? says Federico.

Mm, says Arthur. I need to obtain two Sylvanian bears.

Only two? asks Federico.

Replacements, says Arthur.

Tried eBay? asks Federico.

I need them tonight, says Arthur. 

Then we shall go looking, says Federico. One more drink first.

They have it, and then go out into the streets of Las Ramblas.

Are you replacing the mother and father, or the brother and sister? asks Federico.

Merde! says Arthur. 

Because he doesn't know.

He thinks back to Prong's earlier description. A hairy baby. Wearing a bonnet.

One must be a sister, says Arthur. It was wearing a bonnet.

The sister wouldn't wear a bonnet. says Federico. Perhaps it's the baby?

Is there a baby? asks Arthur.

Yes, a very small baby, says Federico. It's the only one I can think of that might wear a bonnet.

Arthur has a bad feeling that all the bear babies are exactly the same.

If so, should he get two babies, or a baby and a sister?

Or a brother. Since the bonnet will be on the baby.

Look! says Federico. A toy shop!

Is it open? 

Of course. This is Spain.


No comments: