Friday, August 21, 2026

No.....Yes!

The ticket inspector leads Terence to a small compartment.

In it, there's a seat and a table.

On the table is a packet of Trail Mix, unopened.

Wait here, says the ticket inspector.

He goes out, and comes back with Prong.

Hello, says Prong. 

Now I know why you didn't eat the Trail Mix, says Terence.

Yes, says Prong.

Why? asks the ticket inspector. 

Because it's not open, says Terence. 

A parrot should be able to open a packet of Trail Mix, says the ticket inspector. 

You try, says Prong.

The ticket inspector opens the packet of Trail Mix. 

Okay, says Prong. Now try and do it with your mouth.

But I've already done it, says the ticket inspector.

You should have asked him to open it with his mouth first, says Terence.

I see that now, says Prong.

Would you like some? asks the ticket inspector.

No thank you, says Prong.

You might later, says Terence. I'll tip some into my pocket.

He tips some Trail Mix into his pocket.

You are both free to go, says the ticket inspcctor.

Where to? asks Terence.

To the young man you've been travelling with, says the ticket inspector. 

Okay, says Terence.

It might be a trick, says Prong.

No it isn't, says Terence. This guy's off duty.

The ticket inspector nods in agreement.

No trick. He's off duty.

He indicates the door.

Terence and Prong exit the compartment.

Now what? asks Terence.

I'll go first and warn Arthur, says Prong.

Wait, have these, says Terence, scooping a handful of Trail Mix from his shorts pocket.

What for? asks Prong.

Leave a trail, says Terence.

Why? asks Prong. Don't you know where Arthur is sitting?

I know where he WAS sitting, says Terence. What if he's moved?

Good thinking, says Prong.

She whirrs off down the train dropping Trail Mix at intervals.

Terence waits for a while before following.

This is a good plan.

The ticket inspector comes out of the compartment behind him.

Sees a sunflower seed and a dried raisin on the floor next to Terence's feet.

There must be a hole in your pocket, says the ticket inspector. 

No..... YES! says Terence


No comments: