Thursday, November 26, 2009

The Bicycle Detective Part 3

How's it going? I asked Pliny the Elder.

He looked up. Nearly finished, he said. It's not as easy as I thought, to write a story.

But it's a true story isn't it? I said.

Oh yes, he replied. But it's all in the telling. Now that I've reached the denouement, I'm wondering how to reveal it.

Just write what happened next, I suggested. What did happen next?

Very well. After half an hour standing under a wind-tossed tree expecting any minute to be caught in a storm, Gaius was about to go home. But just then he noticed the two bicyclists illuminated in the doorway of the church hall. They appeared to be waving goodbye to the people inside. Hurrying down the steps they headed for the bicycles. Gaius made a split-second decision.

That's good, I said, encouragingly. A split-second decision! You know how to make it exciting.

No I don't, said Pliny. And don't interrupt. Gaius crossed the road. He approached the mysterious bicyclists. I beg both your pardons, he said. But would you please tell me what goes on in there?

Oh, said the first cyclist, the one with the case. I'm awfully sorry but we really can't stay. We have to get back to our own music practice before we are missed. You see we've been moonlighting. Why don't you go in and meet some of the nice folks inside. They will be only too happy to see you. By the way, can you sing? Why yes, said Gaius, as a matter of fact I have a fine tenor voice.

Oh Pliny, I said. Do you have a fine tenor voice?

I do, he said. But as soon as Gaius said it he knew he'd be sorry.

Did he go in? I asked.

He didn't want to. But by then it was too late. Several members of the New Life community had come out to see what was happening. They drew him up the steps and into the hall. Inside the hall all the New Lifers crowded around him. Some of them smiled at him shyly. One or two patted his garment. They set up a chair on the stage and led him up to it. Then they knelt on the floorboards around him with their heads bowed and their palms together, as if waiting for something.

Pliny, they thought you were the Messiah! What did you do?

I sang Down By the Sally Gardens, and Molly on the Shore. Then I excused myself and went home. They all came out to wave me goodbye and asked me to come back again next Tuesday.

No comments: