Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Pure Narrative

Un..bee...leivable! whistled the VeloDrone. They loved Freud's story about his granddaughter's bicycle. Just look at all these comments!

Le Bon David shook his head. I don't understand it, he said. I thought we had a better class of readers than that. It was nothing but pure narrative with no philosophical content at all.

Steady on, said the VeloDrone, it was your idea to tell them that anything could be considered philosophy as long as it had a bike in it.

Oh please! snapped Le Bon David. Don't tell me you don't understand irony either.

Yes, yes, of course I do, David, I'm just saying we shouldn't be surprised. Now look at this comment here. It's from a chap called Gaius Plinius Secundus. He says it's a very moving story, full of wisdom and nobility. He says he's going to recommend our magazine to all his friends.

Did you say Gaius Plinius Secundus, VeloDrone?

Yes.

The famous Pliny the Elder?

Why yes, I suppose so, David.

Here's a thought. What say we ask him to contribute an article? Now that would be something worth reading, I'll bet you a farthing.

Hee Hee! A penny farthing ! But yes it's time we took back control of our magazine. Submitting to blackmail is no way to guarantee quality.

It certainly isn't. One only has to remember the fake Stephen Hawking debacle. Alright. I'll get on to Pliny tonight.

No comments: