Friday, November 27, 2009

The Bicycle Detective Part 4

That's it, said Pliny the Elder. What do you think?

I love it, I said, but I'm wondering whether I gave you some bad advice.

What was it? asked Pliny.

When I told you to ditch the toga, because it revealed who you were. I didn't realise your costume was a crucial part of the plot.

It was? said Pliny, surprised.

Well yes, it was. The New Lifers thought you were the Messiah because you were wearing it. But the readers of Velosophy won't know that you were wearing it unless you tell them.

But then everyone will know that it was me, said Pliny.

Yes, that is the dilemma that you must resolve, I said. I don't see how you can get out of it really. You can't just introduce a character who happens to be walking around the streets at night in a toga for no particular reason.

What if it were a dressing gown? asked Pliny hopefully.

A dressing gown! These are not the sort of people who would be duped by a dressing gown, I said firmly.

Well, then, said Pliny. I must reintroduce the toga. Goodbye privacy!

No comments: