Saturday, November 28, 2009

Contradictions

It's last night. Well, no it can't be, but let us say that it is. I am trying to delete a comment on Facebook.

It came about like this. Dresses are in, this summer. I've been making myself a dress. Getting carried away, I mentioned it several times on Facebook. Eventually my daughter took the bait. Who is the mysterious dress for? she wrote. Are you afraid it is for you? I replied. Yes, she answered. Fear not, said I, it is for me.

Then, in order to show her that, had I made the dress for her, she would have liked it, I took a photo and uploaded it onto my page. What do you think? I asked.

Last night we had a conversation in which the dress figured briefly. Suffice to say that after this I decided to delete both the photograph and the final question, 'what do you think ?', as now I knew the answer.

So, it is last night. I am trying to delete a comment. I press delete. Are you sure you want to delete this comment, says Facebook, rudely.

Yes, I say.

Your comment is deleted, says Facebook.

Good, I say.

But a few minutes later I see that my comment is still there.

I press delete.

This comment has already been deleted, says Facebook. The comment does not exist.

Well, I think to myself, I can see it. Where does that leave me?

No comments: